[Live-demo] Request for - Live GIS Add Project (Cesium)

Balasubramaniam Natarajan bala150985 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 23:59:21 PST 2014

Hi Team,

We would like to add the project Cesium to the OSGeoLive Disk.  We have
answered all the questions which are needed as per the link
<http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Apply>.  I am in the process of
writing a script to get Cesium installed on a debian machine which I will
share once it is done.  I will also put together a project overview and a
quick start guide.

Let me and Patrick know if we are missing something.

   - Please describe your application.
      - What is its name?
      - Cesium
      - What is the home page URL?
      - http://cesiumjs.org/
      - Which OSI approved Open Source Licence is used?
      - Apache 2.0 license
      - What does the application do and how does it add value to the
      GeoSpatial stack of software?
      - Cesium is a JavaScript library for creating 3D globes and 2D maps
      in a web browser without a plugin. It uses WebGL for hardware-accelerated
      graphics, and is cross-platform, cross-browser, and tuned for
dynamic-data
      visualization. Cesium is open source under the Apache 2.0 license. It is
      free for commercial and non-commercial use.
      - Does the application make use of OGC standards? Which versions of
      the standards? Client or server? You may wish to add comments about how
      standards are used.
      - WMS and WMTS. KML is expected in early 2015.
      - What language is it written in?
      - JavaScript
      - Which version of the application should be included in the next
      OSGeo-Live release?
      - Version 1.4  http://cesiumjs.org/downloads.html

   - Stability is very important to us on OSGeo-Live. If a new user finds a
   bug in one application, it will tarnish the reputation of all other
   OSGeo-Live applications as well. (We pay most attention to the following
   answers):
      - If risk adverse organisations have deployed your application into
      production, it would imply that these organisations have verified the
      stability of your software. Has the application been rolled out to
      production into risk (ideally risk adverse) organisations? Please mention
      some of these organisations?
      - Cesium is widely used in government agencies and has been used in
      NORAD Tracks Santa since 2012, which receives about 20 million unique
      visitors each December.
      - Open HUB <https://www.openhub.net/> provides metrics to help assess
      the health of a project. Eg:
      http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/docs/en/metrics.html Could you
      please ensure that your project is registered with Open HUB, and Open HUB
      has been updated to reference the correct code repository(s) for your
      project. What is the Open HUB URL for your project?
      - https://www.openhub.net/p/cesiumjs
      - What is the size of the user community? You can often answer this
      by mentioning downloads, or describing a healthy, busy email list?
      - The forum receives 250-300 posts per month, and rising.
      - What is the size of your developer community?
   - There have been 40 total contributors with about five currently very
      active.  See
      https://github.com/AnalyticalGraphicsInc/cesium/blob/master/CONTRIBUTORS.md
   - Do you have a bug free, stable release?
      - The latest version 1.4
      - Please discuss the level of testing that your project has gone
      through.
      - Cesium has 82K lines of runtime code and 78K lines of unit tests
      with 93% code coverage.
      - How long has the project has had mature code.
      - Cesium 1.0 was released on August 1, 2014.

   - OSGeo-Live is targeted at applications that people can use rather than
   libraries. Does the application have a user interface (possibly a command
   line interface) that a user can interact with? (We do make an exception for
   Incubated OSGeo Libraries, and will include Project Overviews for these
   libraries, even if they don't have a user interface.)
      - Here we write JavaScript to be rendered on the browser.

   - We give preference to OSGeo Incubated Projects, or Projects which are
   presented at FOSS4G <http://foss4g.org> conferences. If your project is
   involved in OSGeo Incubation, or has been selected to be presented at
   FOSS4G, then please mention it.

   - We presented at FOSS4G 2014 and FOSS4G NA 2013.  We were also selected
   to present at FOSS4G NA 2015.
   - See http://cesiumjs.org/publications.html

   - With around 50 applications installed on OSGeo-Live, us core packagers
   do not have the time to liaise with every single project email list for
   each OSGeo-Live release. So we require a volunteer (or two) to take
   responsibility for liaising between OSGeo-Live and the project's
   communities. This volunteer will be responsible for ensuring the install
   scripts and English documentation are updated by someone for each
   OSGeo-Live release. Also test that the installed application and Quickstart
   documentation works as expected on release candidate releases of
   OSGeo-Live. Who will act as the project's liaison person.
      - Balasubramaniam Natarajan and Patrick Cozzi.

   - OSGeo-Live is Ubuntu Linux based. Our installation preference is:
      1. Install from UbuntuGIS or DebianGIS
      2. Install .deb files from a PPA
      3. Write a custom install script

Can you please discuss how your application will be installed.
We plan to do it with custom install script.

   - OSGeo-Live is memory and disk constrained. Can the application run in
   512 Meg of RAM?
      - (We will get back on this point).  In my test I ran Cesium on a gui
      less virtualbox guest and accessed it from another computer via browser
      which had capability for rendering WebGL on browser and it worked fine.

   - How much disk space will be required to install the application and a
   suitable example application?
      - Less than a 100 MB, I am really overstating this it could be even
      under 50MB.

   - We aim to reduce disk space by having all applications make use of a
   common dataset. We encourage applications to make use of the example
   datasets already installed:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Example_Datasets If another
dataset would be more appropriate, please discuss here. Is it appropriate,
to remove existing demo datasets which may already be included in the
standard release.

   - Each OSGeo-Live application requires a Project Overview available
   under a CC By <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/> and a
   Quickstart available under a CC By-SA
   <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/> license. (You may
   release under a second license as well). Will you produce this?
      - We will produce a project overview and a quick start guide.

   - In past releases, we have included Windows and Mac installers for some
   applications. It is likely we won't have space for these in future
   releases. However, if there is room, would you be wishing to include
   Windows and/or Mac installers?
      - Not applicable for our project as it runs on the browser.

--
Regards,
Balasubramaniam Natarajan