[Live-demo] OSGeo-Live and OpenLayers3

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 03:38:12 PST 2014

Hi Antonio,
I've had a quick pass over the OpenLayers Project Overview and Quickstart.

Project Overview:
* I notice there are only minor changes from OL2, which is mostly fine.
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/changeset?new=12020%40livedvd%2Fgisvm%2Ftrunk%2Fdoc%2Fen%2Foverview%2Fopenlayers_overview.rst&old=11575%40livedvd%2Fgisvm%2Ftrunk%2Fdoc%2Fen%2Foverview%2Fopenlayers_overview.rst

* I notice that reference to using Google Maps as a base layer has been
removed. I assume that OL3 can still access Google Maps layers? This
would be an important feature for some users, and worth noting. Is there
any reason for removing such reference?

* I suggest having a look at the leaflet Project Overview. I suspect you
will see features currently listed for Leaflet which could also be
listed for OpenLayers.

* At the moment the Project Overview image is quite plain, with only one
base map. You might want to consider adding some other features, such as
a legend, a tool bar, popup window, etc. Possibly even create a collage
such as used by GeoServer:
http://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/geoserver_overview.html

* I notice you are referencing the location of source code. This line
should be removed as it doesn't fit with our template. Less words get
read more. If someone is serious enough about the project to want to get
source code, then they will find it on the project's web page.

Quickstart:
* I've only had a brief overview of the quickstart so far, but have noticed:

So far, there are no screen shots after each step, in line with our
guidelines:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Application_Quick_Start
(I see that the previous OpenLayers Quickstart didn't have images either)

An example of a good quickstart is:
http://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/udig_quickstart.html
You might want to consider writing style and structure used by the
udig_quickstart, which we use as our template to base other quickstarts
from.