[Live-demo] pywps to osgeo-live

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 16:03:09 PDT 2014

Hi,

I've created overview and quickstart pages and added them to svn
repository (along with logo). I hope, it looks good (?) Sorry, if I
should not commit (because of feature freeze phase), I was actually
wondering, whether I have svn-write access (apparently yes).

About the questions:

H1: Please describe your application.

Q1: What is its name?
A1: PyWPS

Q2: What is the home page URL?
A2: http://pywps.wald.invation.org

Q3: Which OSI approved Open Source Licence is used?
A3: GNU/GPL

Q4: What does the application do and how does it add value to the
GeoSpatial stack of software?
A4: Implementation of OGC WPS on server side, pure Python, easy and
fast to setup

Q5: Does the application make use of OGC standards? Which versions of
the standards? Client or server? You may wish to add comments about
how standards are used.
A5: OGC WPS, 1.0.0, Server

Q6: What language is it written in?
A6: Python

Q7: Which version of the application should be included in the next
OSGeo-Live release?
A7: 3.2.2

H2. Stability is very important to us on OSGeo-Live. If a new user
finds a bug in one application, it will tarnish the reputation of all
other OSGeo-Live applications as well. (We pay most attention to the
following answers):

Q8: If risk adverse organisations have deployed your application into
production, it would imply that these organisations have verified the
stability of your software. Has the application been rolled out to
production into risk (ideally risk adverse) organisations? Please
mention some of these organisations?
A8: According to user feedback, e.g. Allianze Insurance company uses
PyWPS on it's backend of some applications.

Q9: Ohloh provides metrics to help assess the health of a project. Eg:
http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/docs/en/metrics.html Could you
please ensure that your project is registered with Ohloh, and Ohloh
has been updated to reference the correct code repository(s) for your
project. What is the Ohloh URL for your project?
A9: https://www.openhub.net/p/3860

Q10: What is the size of the user community? You can often answer this
by mentioning downloads, or describing a healthy, busy email list?
A10: 95 Non-digested Members of Pywps-devel, 24 Digested Members of
Pywps-devel, 23,701 downloads reported by the Wald.intevation.org
server

Q11: What is the size of your developer community?
A11: 2-3 man

Q12: Do you have a bug free, stable release?
A12: We hope so

Q13: Please discuss the level of testing that your project has gone through.
A13: Mixture of unit and integration tests is applied.

Q14: How long has the project has had mature code.
A14: Project was started in 2006 and since then, it aims to provide
stable and suitable code. Compatibility changes were taken during
major releases. Currently, new branch (PyWPS-4) is being developed,
due to heavy changes in geo-python environement.

Q15: OSGeo-Live is targeted at applications that people can use rather
than libraries. Does the application have a user interface (possibly a
command line interface) that a user can interact with? (We do make an
exception for Incubated OSGeo Libraries, and will include Project
Overviews for these libraries, even if they don't have a user
interface.)
A15: No, just coding & XML

Q16: We give preference to OSGeo Incubated Projects, or Projects which
are presented at FOSS4G conferences. If your project is involved in
OSGeo Incubation, or has been selected to be presented at FOSS4G, then
please mention it.
A16: It's in Labs

Q17: With around 50 applications installed on OSGeo-Live, us core
packagers do not have the time to liaise with every single project
email list for each OSGeo-Live release. So we require a volunteer (or
two) to take responsibility for liaising between OSGeo-Live and the
project's communities. This volunteer will be responsible for ensuring
the install scripts and English documentation are updated by someone
for each OSGeo-Live release. Also test that the installed application
and Quickstart documentation works as expected on release candidate
releases of OSGeo-Live. Who will act as the project's liaison person.
A17: Jachym Cepicky

H3: OSGeo-Live is Ubuntu Linux based. Our installation preference is:

Install from UbuntuGIS or DebianGIS
Install .deb files from a PPA
Write a custom install script

Q18: Can you please discuss how your application will be installed.
A18: Using standard python setup.py script. (The application does not
have to "installed" at all, can run from source code directory
directly)

Q19: OSGeo-Live is memory and disk constrained. Can the application
run in 512 Meg of RAM?
A19: The application has very small impact on memory usage

Q20: How much disk space will be required to install the application
and a suitable example application?
A20: Source code has about 6MB code (including documentation)

Q21: We aim to reduce disk space by having all applications make use
of a common dataset. We encourage applications to make use of the
example datasets already installed:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Example_Datasets If
another dataset would be more appropriate, please discuss here. Is it
appropriate, to remove existing demo datasets which may already be
included in the standard release.

Q22: Each OSGeo-Live application requires a Project Overview available
under a CC By and a Quickstart available under a CC By-SA license.
(You may release under a second license as well). Will you produce
this?
A22: In SVN

Q23: In past releases, we have included Windows and Mac installers for
some applications. It is likely we won't have space for these in
future releases. However, if there is room, would you be wishing to
include Windows and/or Mac installers?
A23: Standard python setup.py install will be enough, so no need to
include special installer

Jachym