[Live-demo] Starting build cycle for OSGeo-Live 8.0

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Sun May 4 15:12:21 PDT 2014

1. RStudio isn't so much essential for geospatial processing as it is for
doing reproducible R programming. It's the 'IPython Notebook' of R. ;-)
2. RStudio server is functionally equivalent to the desktop; it just gives
you a web interface so you can collaborate on a project. I'd consider the
server nice-to-have if it's a space issue. For me, the desktop is a
must-have.
2. I don't do much with Shiny. I've tried a few of the demos but I'm not a
huge fan of 'learning by moving sliders and watching what the picture
does.' ;-)

What's the total space available?

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>wrote:

> We do include the most popular/common R packages from the spatial task
> view and have for years. You are welcome to discuss modifying the
> selection. There simply isn't room for all of them.
>
> We'll take RStudio into consideration, but it may be a space issue
> again. Is RStudio server geographic specific in any way, what about
> Shiny for displaying web outputs of sp related functions?
>
> That said, we'd be happy to include an optional script in our svn for
> adding all of these after the official build. That way the script is on
> disk and can be triggered easily.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> On 05/04/2014 01:50 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> > My wish list for new packages is pretty short: RStudio (desktop and
> > server), the CRAN 'Spatial' task view and all the Ubuntu dependencies the
> > task view needs. I have a set of scripts that will layer this onto OSGeo
> > Live 7.9 at https://gitlab.com/znmeb/osgeo-live-addons. License is
> AGPL-3.
> > I'd certainly be willing to merge these into your build process or do a
> > fork-pull request from a Git repo (assuming you use Git, of course).
> >

> > On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Cameron Shorter
> > <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> >>    We are starting the build cycle for OSGeo-Live <
> http://live.osgeo.org/>
> >>  8.0 which will be released in September 2014, ready for the global
> >> FOSS4G conference in Portland <http://2014.foss4g.org/>. We would like
> >> hear from anyone wishing to add new projects, anyone wishing to extend
> or
> >> add extra translations, or anyone who wants to contribute in code,
> testing
> >> or ideas on how we should shape the upcoming release.
> >>
> >> Also, could all projects please reply to us with which stable version of
> >> their software should be included in this release. Ideally, projects
> should
> >> provide debian packages for this release.
> >> Key Milestones 08 Jun 2014 All new applications installed, most old
> >> applications updated 07 Jul 2014 Feature Freeze (all apps updated) 27
> Jul
> >> 2014 User Acceptance Test (all apps installed and working) 17 Aug 2014
> >> Final ISO sent to printers
> >>
> >> ... full schedule<
> http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al9zh8DjmU_RdE1SYUN3YWJ2N1NpSUczbW9IRWZNclE&hl=en_GB
> >
> >> Moving to Lubuntu 14.04 LTS
> >>
> >> OSGeo-Live 8.0 will be built upon the recently released Lubuntu<
> http://lubuntu.net/>
> >>  14.04 Long Term Support release (it was previously based upon Xubuntu
> >> 12.04 LTS).
> >>
> >>    1. Lubuntu, which is a LXDE based Ubuntu linux distribution, is light
> >>    weight. This means it runs faster, with less memory and disk
> requirements
> >>    which will improve the OSGeo-Live user experiences and allow us to
> fit a
> >>    little more onto a DVD.
> [...]

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism on a Stick
http://j.mp/CompJournoStickOverview

My poltergeist can beat up your zeitgeist.