[Live-demo] Starting build cycle for OSGeo-Live 8.0

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun May 4 17:17:29 PDT 2014

3.6 - 3.8 GB compressed iso for a 4GB usb stick, otherwise 4.7 GB DVD if
we punt to expecting people to have 8 GB usb stick.

We typically have zero extra room, so every add is a careful balance of
what can we remove instead. Order of priorities:
1. OSGeo Projects
2. OSGeo Incubation Projects
3. Other high quality established geospatial software
4. Useful add-ons that work with the above software

The last category is where things like Rstudio and IPython fall. It's
also the 1st place we'd start cutting if we need space. Hence it falls
into the optional scripts list. Make a script that fits our methods for
the installation. If there's room we put it in, if there isn't than it
becomes optional for an end user with a virtual machine or install to
add it with a simple one liner call in the shell.