[Live-demo] Dual boot and Hyper-V

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Tue Sep 16 10:01:01 PDT 2014

I had some problems with Client Hyper-V on my Windows 8 laptop and
gave up on it. Specifically:

1. You need two network interfaces active if you want to use
networking from both the host and the guest. On a laptop which
normally runs wifi, like in a coffee shop, this means you'll have to
buy a USB wifi adapter.
2. There was some contention over USB for the Logitech wireless mouse.
I had to use the trackpad.
3. You can't have VMware Player / Workstation or VirtualBox installed
if you're using Client Hyper-V. The drivers conflict.

My recommendation for desktop virtualization on a Windows host is
VMware Workstation. It works, it's not expensive and it's a good bit
more efficient than VirtualBox.

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 8:03 AM, RicardoMS <ricardo_7205 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm trying to make a dual boot with the 8.0 live DVD, but when I start it
> from my USB (16GB), it says it doesn't have any OS. I'm using UNetbootin to
> create a bootable Live USB.
>
> Another strange thing that is happening with this new version is that I
> can't connect 8.0 to the internet, as a Hyper-V VM.
>
> I did exactly the same thing  with 7.9 (dual boot and Hyper-V VM) and I had
> them running for 3 months with no problems. But when I tried 8.0: no
> internet in Hyper-V and I can't create dual boot. I tried the same process
> again to 7.9 and it has internet in Hyper-V and I can create a dual boot.
>
> Is anyone experiencing the same issues?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Ricardo Silva

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism on a Stick
http://j.mp/CompJournoStickOverview

Remember, if you're traveling to Bactria, Hump Day is Tuesday and Thursday.