[Live-demo] Problem with mounting shared folder in OsgeoLive 8.5

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Apr 21 08:16:44 PDT 2015

On 04/21/2015 07:53 AM, Elena Mezzini wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I've just installed new versions of both Virtual Box (version
> 4.3.26_98988) and OsgeoLive 8.5 on Windows 7.
> I did everything explained in the OSGeo-Live Quickstart for Running in
> a Virtual Machine [0]
> I called my shared folder LAVORI that is located in c:/LAVORI, I
> didn't know if putting automatic mounting or not (I tried both.. but
> with the same final result)
> Then in Devices, Install Guest Additions, installing the Additions of Vbox
> then I did:
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic
> cd /media/user/VBOXADDITIONS_4.3.26_98988/
> sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
>
> then reboot the VM and:
> mkdir LAVORI
> sudo mount -t vboxsf -o uid=user, rw LAVORI /home/user/LAVORI
>
> BUT it's not working:
> /sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: No such device.
>
> Maybe is something stupid, but I can't manage solve it!
>
> i will be glad if someone will help me, because without mounting this
> folder I can't work...
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> Elena Mezzini
>
> [0] http://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/virtualization_quickstart.html

Keep in mind this is not an OSGeo-Live specific issue, which means you
can also seek help from the large VirtualBox community.

So when you rebooted, did you notice if you can now fullscreen the VM
(this is a way to confirm that the guest additions installed properly).

With auto-mount it should show up in /media/LAVORI

Did you happen to run updates in the guest after installing guest additions?

http://stackoverflow.com/a/27992355/237354