[Live-demo] Problem with mounting shared folder in OsgeoLive 8.5

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Apr 21 08:41:20 PDT 2015

On 04/21/2015 08:32 AM, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 5:23 PM, Johan Van de Wauw
> <johan.vandewauw at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd recommend installing the kernel modules from the repositories:
>> sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose-addtitions-modules
>>
>> Reboot and try again.
>
> Correcting myself:
>
> sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-x11 virtualbox-guest-utils
>

> I also think we should consider updating our instructions as these
> packages get security updates. If you install manually you may miss
> those.

So this depends on what version of Virtual Box is being used. Last time
I looked into this if you run the closed source but free for
personal/academic use binaries, then you have to use the closed source
guest additions.

If you happen to run the community edition of virtual box then yes you
can use the guest packages from ubuntu repos.

Otherwise you end up with version mismatches and none of it works.
Perhaps this has changed in recent times? I haven't tried for a couple
of years to use the open source variant (it doesn't support usb device
passthrough).