[Live-demo] THREDDS - was build process

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Wed Dec 2 14:45:39 PST 2015

Hi Sean, Ethan, all

  The Docker model is somewhat orthoganal to the aims and
implementation of the OSGeo-Live.
We are not *against* Docker, its just different.  For example, a
Docker model works well to spawn
hundreds of servers that may be short-lived, and have identical install
footprints.  I understand
that due to the popularity and some commerical investment, the Docker
model is being spread
further to include demo installs of heavier apps, in an easily
reproducible way ..

  Meanwhile, the OSGeo-Live is intended to be a stand-alone boot, that
will work *without a
network connection* at all.. this is important in a few scenarios, like
a secure physical environment,
training and education, the third-world, and in-the-field use, to name
a few.. The Live is intended
to be a fully-functioning, stand-alone Live disk which works on
mid-level and legacy PC hardware.
This also makes it well suited to being a 32bit VM, but that is a
side-effect. Docker is intended
for on-demand, server-side installs and as a side-effect, amakes
installation easy on a laptop
for a demo .. etc

  I am not in the Docker community, so if I misundestand, or miss
something important here,
please speak up !

  Lastly, I think i can say we are super-interested in the THREDDS
server showing something on
the Live. We are first-off an end-user disk, so its not clear what
level of detail is appropriate.
But there are plenty of possibilities, and it is *definitely* in line
with the mission here.

  best regards from Berkeley, California
  Brian M Hamlin