[Live-demo] Torrents - was build process

hbogner hbogner at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 07:15:18 PST 2015

@Brian

Why wouldn't OSGeo-live be a good fit for the torrent model???
Please elaborate because I don't see your point as clear as you.

It's few large files which you have to check after downloading to see if
there are any download errors, while torrent checks it automatically.
There are torrent files containing few KB of data, and there are those
containing tens or hundreds of GB of data, so OSGeo-live fits in.
There are torrent file with more and less frequent updates than OSGeo-live.

LibreOffice offers torrent files:
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/?type=win-x86&version=5.0&lang=en-US
Debian offers torrent files:
https://www.debian.org/CD/torrent-cd/
Ubuntu offers torrent files:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/trusty/
Fedora offers torrent files:
https://torrents.fedoraproject.org/

The list goes on ...

@Johan

Yes it wouldn't be so fast as regular download, but I offered both,
regular mirror and torrent files that could be seeded from few machines,
and anyone can also help with those.
If there is a regular download I prefer wget on hi speed link, but
prefer torrent on slow links, and always seed if there is a torrent file.

Many people run away from torrent because it sometimes gets associated
with piracy, but it's just a protocol for data distribution and can be
used for good things like this.

So why not also offer torrent with regular download? One doesn't cancel
another.

Regards
Hrvoje