[Live-demo] Starting build cycle for OSGeo-Live 9.0

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Thu May 21 11:08:11 PDT 2015

Hi,

Three years ago we were using the latest 11.04 release, but the last couple
of years we have switched to build only on top of LTS releases for
stability.
Before Trusty, we made some effort to backport packages to precise, and I
think the result was a good one, plus we pushed those updates to UbuntuGIS.

Given the latest switch of Ubuntu 15.04 to systemd, I would strongly advise
to stay on 14.04 LTS, until systemd gets stable enough to use as a base
(16.04 LTS)

The software versions (the ones we maintain) will not be the same as in 8.5.

Best,
Angelos

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 8:48 PM, Activity Workshop <
mail at activityworkshop.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Around this time in the build cycle I often get asked "what version of
> software should we take into the build process?"  and I always answer
> the same thing - take the default package from the Ubuntu repositories
> which you're using for the build.  It's just the easiest way for everyone.
>
> For OSGeo-Live 9.0, I'm not sure but I think I heard that you will
> continue to use Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty as the base because it's an LTS
> version.  Is that true?  And if so, do you have any plans to take
> certain packages from later versions of Ubuntu, like 15.04, or is that
> too risky in terms of breaking stuff?
> I think that OSGeo-Live should be a kind of showcase for what's
> currently available, and if everything comes from 14.04 repositories,
> then there'll be no difference between OSGeo-Live 8.5 and 9.0, right?
> Do you have any plans for how to update the geo applications without
> having to update the whole Ubuntu underneath?
>
> Thanks,
> activityworkshop

Angelos Tzotsos
Remote Sensing Laboratory