[Live-demo] Starting the build process for OSGeo-Live 9.5

Pieter du Plooy pjduplooy at zpanelcp.com
Sat Nov 28 05:30:09 PST 2015

Hi guys

I have been following the development of this project for a couple of years
now, and was especially happy to see a 64 bit version, as one of my most
used applications is Opticks, as that is only available as 64 bit.

I personally would welcome "forks" based on other Desktop environments, as
I particularly like KDE

I would like to volunteer attempting to test the feasibility of using KDE.
(Kubuntu)

On a side note, I have been using Gentoo for ages, but have recently
switched to Arch Linux, as it gives me greater freedom in what I choose to
include, and to compile the apps that I want.  The last few months I have
spent using GIS software on Arch, and was really impressed of what can be
done!! Most, if not all apps included on the DVD, I can use in Arch.

I would like to try (in the new year) to have a GIS specific Arch Distro,
to see if I can emulate the Live DVD in Arch.

Regards

Pieter