[Live-demo] Fwd: Re: [Incubator] requiring CLA signing

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 03:33:45 PDT 2016

On 28/08/2016 11:12 AM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 08/27/16 22:41, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>> I like the GeoNode process for signing Contributor License Agreements,
>> and suggest that we should introduce something similar for OSGeo-Live
>>
>> clahub.com <http://clahub.com>
>
> I'd argue for dropping a CLA, it only raises the barrier to contribute
> without much benefit for the project.
>
> See also: http://ebb.org/bkuhn/blog/2014/06/09/do-not-need-cla.html
>
> I've recently retracted my pull requests to the protobuf project
> because they require a CLA before considering the contributions. If
> you require me to sign a legal document before accepting my patches, I
> choose not to contribute to your project. The effort is simply not
> worth it.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Bas

Thanks Bas for the URL. After reading it I agree that we don't want
contributors to sign a CLA, but rather have an "inbound=outbound"
process, where developers formally confirm they  agree to the project's
Open Source license.
I'm hoping we can make our messy "confirm to an archived email list"
process cleaner by allowing contributors to use a web page instead,
which is linked to their git id, and can be used to ensure only
developers who have confirmed they agree with the license get their git
code merged.

Cheers, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter,