[Live-demo] OSM intro

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 16:17:42 PDT 2016

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your text, and sorry for delayed response.

My initial thoughts are that you write well, but the structure of the
document doesn't fit well with our OSGeo-Live template format.

Have you had a look at our documentation writing guidelines, linked from:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Documentation ?

In particular, have a look at the comments in the PostGIS Project
Overview or UDig Quickstart source RST files.

On 7/07/2016 11:22 PM, mbranco2 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> please find attached a first draft of OSM intro (thanks Luca for the
> assistance).
>
> Let me know if I could help more.
>
>   Marco
>
> P.S. Luca wrote me he is offline till next monday (July 11)

“OpenStreetMap (OSM) is a collaborative project to create a free
editable map of the world” [wikipedia].
The project started in 2004, and to date there are nearly 3 million
people around the world who have contributed to the OpenStreetMap
database, which is the collector of all geolocalized information
(updated statistics here).
The impressive growth of the OSM phenomenon is well documented in this
animation , and to appreciate the level of detail of OSM information
compared to other maps (i.e. Google ...) you can use this web page :
choose a location you well know, and then zoom more and more…  lacking a
bench, a basket for garbage, a tree?   Well, map it!
OSM is not only an excellent example of open data, but also its
community gives an impressive boost at the increasing trend of open data
request: local OSM community indeed is putting pressure on (local and
central) government agencies to make public and freely reusable their
geo-localized data. On the other hand, more and more public agencies
have adopted OSM data and services for their activities.
On the social side, another major project is HOT (Humanitarian
OpenStreetMap Team): “…when a disaster or political crisis happens, HOT
leaps into action to map the affected area with a global network of
volunteers. Disaster responders, such as the Red Cross and Doctors
without Borders, are using these detailed maps in the response to these
crises”.
Since the Israeli-Gaza conflict (2008),  several disasters
had the prompt support by the HOT team: Haiti  earthquake (2010),  West
Africa Ebola Epidemic (2014) and Nepal Earthquake (2015),  just to name
a few.

OSM data are freely reusable, both for no profit and profit
organizations: you can start from switch2osm.org to plan your
activity.
To learn more about license subject please visit these pages:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright/
http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Legal_FAQ

The main entrance to OSM world is at www.openstreetmap.org : here you
can browse the Map, and you can also begin to contribute (after
registration to join the community), directly inserting geolocalized data.
In the Web there are tons of guides, tutorial, etc. to learn to use OSM
and the numerous OSM-related tools, the OSM wiki (available in almost
all languages) and learnosm.org are good starting points: here you can
find for example a list of software applications using OSM data and
services (for desktop, mobile devices, …), or the portal to the many OSM
mapping projects, and various OSM-tools learning guides.
help.openstreetmap.org is the main question-and-answer site, but there
are a lot of mailing lists  (in various languages) where you can ask
questions or search answers: here is the full list.

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
Jirotech
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,