[Live-demo] OSM intro

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 14:04:38 PDT 2016

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your docs. I'm reviewing now, and will incorporate you docs
(after review) into the master.

As a formality, to cover us legally, can you please send an email to
Live-demo at lists.osgeo.org confirming that you agree to contributing
under an Open Source license, as per:

    /"Hi all, I'd like to contribute XXX to OSGeo-Live. I confirm that
    my contributions to OSGeo-Live will be compatible with the
    OSGeo-Live license guidelines at the time of contribution."/

    The licenses used for the OSGeo-Live build scripts and documentation
    are:

      * /Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License
        for Quickstarts/
      * /Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License for Project
        Overviews/
      * /LGPL version >=2.1 for the install scripts/
      * /One of the OSI approved Open Source licenses for installed
        applications/
      * /Public domain, CC-By-SA, and Open Data Commons Open Database
        License (ODbL) for data/

This is from our processes here:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Git_migration

On 15/07/2016 2:31 AM, mbranco2 wrote:
> [...]
> and the core features).
> I tried to write the .rst file just with an ascii editor, hoping to
> speed up the activity.
> If this it's ok, I can write in the same manner the other .rst file
> for OSM intro.

> <mailto:cameron.shorter at gmail.com>>:
>
>     Hi Marco,
>
>     Thanks for your text, and sorry for delayed response.
>
>     My initial thoughts are that you write well, but the structure of
>     the document doesn't fit well with our OSGeo-Live template format.
>
>     Have you had a look at our documentation writing guidelines,
>     linked from:
>
>     https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Documentation ?
>
>     In particular, have a look at the comments in the PostGIS Project
>     Overview or UDig Quickstart source RST files.
>

>     On 7/07/2016 11:22 PM, mbranco2 wrote:
>
>         Hi all,
>
>         please find attached a first draft of OSM intro (thanks Luca
>         for the assistance).
>
>         Let me know if I could help more.
>
>           Marco
>
>         P.S. Luca wrote me he is offline till next monday (July 11)
>

>     “OpenStreetMap (OSM) is a collaborative project to create a free
>     editable map of the world” [wikipedia].
>     The project started in 2004, and to date there are nearly 3
>     million people around the world who have contributed to the
>     OpenStreetMap database, which is the collector of all geolocalized
>     information (updated statistics here).
>     The impressive growth of the OSM phenomenon is well documented in
>     this animation , and to appreciate the level of detail of OSM
>     information compared to other maps (i.e. Google ...) you can use
>     this web page : choose a location you well know, and then zoom
>     more and more…  lacking a bench, a basket for garbage, a tree?
>      Well, map it!
>     OSM is not only an excellent example of open data, but also its
>     community gives an impressive boost at the increasing trend of
>     open data request: local OSM community indeed is putting pressure
>     on (local and central) government agencies to make public and
>     freely reusable their geo-localized data. On the other hand, more
>     and more public agencies have adopted OSM data and services for
>     their activities.
>     On the social side, another major project is HOT (Humanitarian
>     OpenStreetMap Team): “…when a disaster or political crisis
>     happens, HOT leaps into action to map the affected area with a
>     global network of volunteers. Disaster responders, such as the Red
>     Cross and Doctors without Borders, are using these detailed maps
>     in the response to these crises”.  Since the Israeli-Gaza conflict
>     (2008), several disasters had the prompt support by the HOT team:
>     Haiti  earthquake (2010),  West Africa Ebola Epidemic (2014) and
>     Nepal Earthquake (2015),  just to name a few.
>
>     OSM data are freely reusable, both for no profit and profit
>     organizations: you can start from switch2osm.org
To learn more about
http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Legal_FAQ

P +61 2 8099 9000,  M +61 419 142 254, W www.jirotech.com