[Live-demo] OSM intro

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 19:40:27 PDT 2016

Hi Marco,

I've gone over your doc updates, and have made some small adjustments to
the original OSM Project Overview, but have not included all of your new
text there. (The original OSM Project Overview was reasonably good - the
OSM Quickstart could be improved quite a bit.)

Our aim with Project Overviews is to keep the documentation very
concise, providing high level information.

The material you have provided is a closer match to the introduction of
Quickstart documentation, but is not in the Quickstart format.

It would be good to brainstorm ideas with you about what should be in
the OSM Quickstart. The current OSM Quickstart is not as good as
Quickstarts for other projects, and based on what you have written so
far, I can see you probably have the experience to help us get the
Quickstart back into good shape.

I don't think we will be able to get the OSM Quickstart updated in time
for our next 10.0 release, but we can aim for the 10.5 release.

Warm regards, Cameron

On 17/07/2016 7:04 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> [...]
>> and the core features).
>> I tried to write the .rst file just with an ascii editor, hoping to
>> speed up the activity.
>> If this it's ok, I can write in the same manner the other .rst file
>> for OSM intro.

>> <mailto:cameron.shorter at gmail.com>>:
>>
>>     Hi Marco,
>>
>>     Thanks for your text, and sorry for delayed response.
>>
>>     My initial thoughts are that you write well, but the structure of
>>     the document doesn't fit well with our OSGeo-Live template format.
>>
>>     Have you had a look at our documentation writing guidelines,
>>     linked from:
>>
>>     https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Documentation ?
>>
>>     In particular, have a look at the comments in the PostGIS Project
>>     Overview or UDig Quickstart source RST files.
>>

>>     On 7/07/2016 11:22 PM, mbranco2 wrote:
>>
>>         Hi all,
>>
>>         please find attached a first draft of OSM intro (thanks Luca
>>         for the assistance).
>>
>>         Let me know if I could help more.
>>
>>           Marco
>>
>>         P.S. Luca wrote me he is offline till next monday (July 11)
>>

>>     “OpenStreetMap (OSM) is a collaborative project to create a free
>>     editable map of the world” [wikipedia].
>>     The project started in 2004, and to date there are nearly 3
>>     million people around the world who have contributed to the
>>     OpenStreetMap database, which is the collector of all
>>     geolocalized information (updated statistics here).
>>     The impressive growth of the OSM phenomenon is well documented in
>>     this animation , and to appreciate the level of detail of OSM
>>     information compared to other maps (i.e. Google ...) you can use
>>     this web page : choose a location you well know, and then zoom
>>     more and more…  lacking a bench, a basket for garbage, a tree?
>>      Well, map it!
>>     OSM is not only an excellent example of open data, but also its
>>     community gives an impressive boost at the increasing trend of
>>     open data request: local OSM community indeed is putting pressure
>>     on (local and central) government agencies to make public and
>>     freely reusable their geo-localized data. On the other hand, more
>>     and more public agencies have adopted OSM data and services for
>>     their activities.
>>     On the social side, another major project is HOT (Humanitarian
>>     OpenStreetMap Team): “…when a disaster or political crisis
>>     happens, HOT leaps into action to map the affected area with a
>>     global network of volunteers. Disaster responders, such as the
>>     Red Cross and Doctors without Borders, are using these detailed
>>     maps in the response to these crises”.  Since the Israeli-Gaza
>>     conflict (2008),  several disasters had the prompt support by the
>>     HOT team: Haiti  earthquake (2010),  West Africa Ebola Epidemic
>>     (2014) and Nepal Earthquake (2015),  just to name a few.
>>
>>     OSM data are freely reusable, both for no profit and profit
>>     organizations: you can start from switch2osm.org
To learn more
http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Legal_FAQ