[Live-demo] Should OSGeo-Live drop from 2 to 1 release per year?

Astrid Emde astrid.emde at wheregroup.com
Mon Nov 7 04:50:45 PST 2016

Hello,

Am 2016-11-02 13:20, schrieb Johan Van de Wauw:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 12:44 AM, Cameron Shorter
> <cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> Extending impromptu IRC discussion today ...
>>
>> With the increased maturity and stability of OSGeo-Live we are
>> considering
>> reducing the OSGeo-Live release cycle to once a year, releasing just
>> before
>> the global FOSS4G. (Previously we have been releasing twice per year).

I added FOSSGIS and FOSS4G to the schedule document.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tMRaCwabv7SiIG3moHEfMrQ&hl=en_GB

In the last years FOSSGIS profited from the *.5 releases, as FOSSGIS
takes place in spring every year. That was great.

I discussed with a workshop organizer from FOSSGIS and we came to the
result that it would be ok to use the *.0 version from OSGeo-Live for
the FOSSGIS as well.

In my opinion it was great to have a version of OSGeo-Live twice a year.
 From marketing aspect it was great to report about OSGeo-Live so often
and hear from the project...  Reducing it to once a year is a long time
in between. But if it means too much work and stress for the team it
would be a reasonable decision.

Maybe we could think about other actions in the rest of the year (f.e.
documentation sprints) to get new people involved.

Hope I can join the meeting today.

See you Astrid