[Live-demo] Should OSGeo-Live drop from 2 to 1 release per year?

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 13:47:08 PST 2016

Hi,

I also agree with Johan and Astrid: there is much value with keeping 2
releases per year.
I like the idea that Johan proposed, perhaps we can focus 10.5 to be
more of a documentation update and less about updating all versions of
the software.

Best,
Angelos

PS. I am turning on nightly builds now, to evaluate the build status.
Perhaps we can do 10.1 instead of 10.5 for March...

On 11/07/2016 02:50 PM, Astrid Emde wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am 2016-11-02 13:20, schrieb Johan Van de Wauw:
>> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 12:44 AM, Cameron Shorter
>> <cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Extending impromptu IRC discussion today ...
>>>
>>> With the increased maturity and stability of OSGeo-Live we are
>>> considering
>>> reducing the OSGeo-Live release cycle to once a year, releasing just
>>> before
>>> the global FOSS4G. (Previously we have been releasing twice per year).
>
> I added FOSSGIS and FOSS4G to the schedule document.
>
> http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tMRaCwabv7SiIG3moHEfMrQ&hl=en_GB
>
> In the last years FOSSGIS profited from the *.5 releases, as FOSSGIS
> takes place in spring every year. That was great.
>
> I discussed with a workshop organizer from FOSSGIS and we came to the
> result that it would be ok to use the *.0 version from OSGeo-Live for
> the FOSSGIS as well.
>
> In my opinion it was great to have a version of OSGeo-Live twice a
> year. From marketing aspect it was great to report about OSGeo-Live so
> often and hear from the project...  Reducing it to once a year is a
> long time in between. But if it means too much work and stress for the
> team it would be a reasonable decision.
>
> Maybe we could think about other actions in the rest of the year (f.e.
> documentation sprints) to get new people involved.
>
> Hope I can join the meeting today.
>
> See you Astrid

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
OSGeo Charter Member