[Live-demo] Review of gpsprune on OSGeo-Live 11.0

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 16 13:28:36 PDT 2017

On 06/16/2017 09:32 PM, Activity Workshop wrote:
> On 12/06/17 21:00, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> Shouldn't gpsprune be upgraded to 18.6 and the overview & quickstart
>> updated to reflect the latest version?
>
> Well yes, you're right, it would be ideal if we had v18.6.  But currently my
> number 1 priority is to try to prevent GpsPrune being removed from OSGeo-Live,
> and as I understand it the docs need to be reviewed this week.
>
> The easiest way to ensure that GpsPrune gets installed (correct me if I'm wrong)
> is to take the version from the Ubuntu repositories.  I expect that a simple
> apt-get will be much easier to manage than trying to set up links to backports
> or private ppas or whatever else might be involved to get 18.6.  So that is why
> I recommended to take the one from the repositories, and I've only just learned
> this week that this will be 18.3.

Rebuilding the latest gpsprune package from Debian for OSGeo-Live is
quite trivial, see for example the git-buildpackage workflow documented
in the Debian GIS policy:

 https://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/packaging.html#git-backports

Or just rebuild the source package downloaded via tracker.debian.org
with pdebuild in a cowbuilder chroot with the OSGeo-Live nightly PPA
enabled.

Updating the package now requires the docs to be reviewed again for
18.6. If the package was updated first the docs needed to be updated
only once.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--