[Live-demo] Review of gpsprune on OSGeo-Live 11.0

Activity Workshop mail at activityworkshop.net
Sat Jun 17 07:48:38 PDT 2017

On 16/06/17 22:43, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> I agree with Sebastiaan that we should be updating to the latest stable
> version of gpsprune if we can.
I really don't think that's going to happen for this version of OSGeo-Live,
given that the deadlines are mere hours away now.  I would be happy to discuss
this again once the time pressures are off.

> One of the criteria we used to identifying projects to retire from OSGeo-Live
> was finding projects which are not changing version on OSGeo-Live. (This
> picked out gpsprune).
And another criterion was an acute lack of resources.  If you're now telling me
that it would be no problem to invest additional effort with backporting and
packaging and integration, together with updating and reviewing documentation,
then that changes the question somewhat.

As I've already said, it would be great if you could take 18.6, but I honestly
have no idea what would be required from me and what would be required from the
OSGeo-Live team in order to make that happen.  I also have no idea from whom on
the OSGeo-Live team I should be asking favours to do the work for me, and what I
should be asking them to do.  As with every release I have tried to minimise the
OSGeo-Live work required, but if you're telling me that that's the wrong
approach then I'm very open to suggestions.

> On 17/6/17 6:28 am, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> Or just rebuild the source package downloaded via tracker.debian.org
>> with pdebuild in a cowbuilder chroot with the OSGeo-Live nightly PPA
>> enabled.
Haha, thanks Sebastiaan, you make it sound so easy! :D  I don't think I've ever
done _anything_ with pdebuild in a cowbuilder chroot in my life!!  I rely on
generous people like yourself to do that for me for Debian.

As I said, my priority right now is to try to prevent GpsPrune being removed
from the image (or try to ensure that it's added again).  I would rather have
18.3 included than nothing, and there are only a few hours to go before the
deadlines.

Thanks,
activityworkshop