[Live-demo] about osgeo and sponsors

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 10:21:42 PDT 2017

Thanks Jody for the review.
We had started this discussion for the 10.5 release and we did not find
the time for a pull request.
We should update this page for the 11.0 release, actually I am going to
open a blocker ticket for this.

On 06/17/2017 09:08 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Reviewing the page:
>
> - https://live.osgeo.org/en/sponsors.html
>
> I had a question about the sponsors listed, are they all current sponsors?
> Or is that a lifetime achievement award. Also one of the images appears be
> broken, perhaps for the australian government office of spatial data
> management?

This sponsor list is not reviewed very often, most of these sponsors are
associated to the PSC members:
https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/commits/master/en/sponsors.rst
e.g. last update was to rename Lisasoft as Jirotech.

Some comments:
1. In my opinion, OSGeo, DebianGIS and UbuntuGIS should be lifetime
sponsors.
2. For several years, NTUA and UCDAVIS host 2 servers for us to release
our alpha/beta/nightly iso files:
http://aiolos.survey.ntua.gr/gisvm/
http://osprey.ucdavis.edu/downloads/osgeo/gisvm/gisvm/
so we should keep listing them as long as we use those servers (I am
open to move those files to OSGeo infrastructure as long as there is
enough disk space).
3. Jirotech has sponsored Cameron's time for maintaining the
documentation and initial packaging. We should consider that the last
years Jirotech is not supporting packaging (perhaps we should remove
that part of the description?). I would like to hear from Cameron if
this is an ongoing sponsorship of his time or if he is spending personal
time on this project nowadays.
4. I would like to make a motion to remove the Australian Government’s
Office of Spatial Data Management as a sponsor, since I have not heard
from them for many years now and I am not aware of any recent
sponsorship to the project.
5. Okeanos is still providing 2 virtual machines that we use for the
build and release process of OSGeo-Live.

> The description of the OSGeo Foundation should include our vision -
> "empower everyone with open source geospatial". See
> http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/about.html

+1

> The description under "The OSGeo Foundation" mixes the foundation and the
> live gis description. I think you may need to move the following text up
> further in the page, or add a new heading?

+1

> *This Live GIS disc and virtual-machine has been put together by members of
> the OSGeo community to showcase their favourite Free and Open Source (FOSS)
> geospatial software. We’ve included a number of non-OSGeo software
> packages, GIS focused and otherwise, which we hope you will find to be as
> useful as we do. The OSGeo Foundation does not recommend or guarantee any
> associated software, projects, or companies found within.*
>
> *These programs are distributed in the hope that they will be useful, but
> WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY
> or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.*
>

> The list of "OSGeo Supporting Sponsors" is out of date:
>

>     - Supporting sponsors is no longer a category, we have bronze, silver,
>     gold, platinum tiers.
>        - See http://www.osgeo.org/sponsorship for details
>     - The sponsors listed for 2017 are here -
>     http://www.osgeo.org/content/sponsorship/sponsors.html
>     - The diamond and platinum sponsor logos are intended to be listed on
>     all promotional material
>        - Can we confirm that OSGeo Live is considered a "Key OSGeo marketing
>        materials"?
>        - diamond/platinum sponsors for 2017 are GeoCat and Boundless (and
>        now Digital Globe and IBM if they wish to be cross listed as osgeo
>        sponsors).

We need to align with the current OSGeo sponsorship scheme.

> The sponsorship "perks" are rewritten each year, so if the OSGeo Live
> project would like to adjust any of the above expectations for 2018 please
> make a motion and we can change things up.
>
> Keep in mind that OSGeo Live sponsors can be cross linked as osgeo sponsors
> (any contirbutions they make to the project adds to their total for osgeo
> sponsorship).

In our case, how can we measure the value of the sponsorship, since we
do not receive money from the sponsors?

Cheers,
Angelos

> --