[Live-demo] about osgeo and sponsors

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 05:06:01 PDT 2017

Hi Jody,

Thanks for the review.

One thing that makes me a little nervous is any gradual increase in
baseline tasks delegated to the OSGeo core time, especially when we have
just gone through a de-scoping exercise within OSGeo-Live to bring our
level of effort back to our volunteer capacity.

If OSGeo-Live is ear-marked to be part of the OSGeo marketing channel,
then perhaps future hired help for marketing can be allocated for
reviewing and updating relevant OSGeo-Live pages (eg the list of OSGeo
sponsors).

More comments inline.

On 19/6/17 3:21 am, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
> Thanks Jody for the review.
> We had started this discussion for the 10.5 release and we did not
> find the time for a pull request.
> We should update this page for the 11.0 release, actually I am going
> to open a blocker ticket for this.
>
> On 06/17/2017 09:08 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
>> Reviewing the page:
>>
>> -https://live.osgeo.org/en/sponsors.html
>>
>> I had a question about the sponsors listed, are they all current sponsors?
>> Or is that a lifetime achievement award. Also one of the images appears be
>> broken, perhaps for the australian government office of spatial data
>> management?
>
> This sponsor list is not reviewed very often, most of these sponsors
> are associated to the PSC members:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/commits/master/en/sponsors.rst
> e.g. last update was to rename Lisasoft as Jirotech.
>
> Some comments:
> 1. In my opinion, OSGeo, DebianGIS and UbuntuGIS should be lifetime
> sponsors.
+1 Cameron
> 2. For several years, NTUA and UCDAVIS host 2 servers for us to
> release our alpha/beta/nightly iso files:
> http://aiolos.survey.ntua.gr/gisvm/
> http://osprey.ucdavis.edu/downloads/osgeo/gisvm/gisvm/
+1 Cameron
> so we should keep listing them as long as we use those servers (I am
> open to move those files to OSGeo infrastructure as long as there is
> enough disk space).
> 3. Jirotech has sponsored Cameron's time for maintaining the
> documentation and initial packaging. We should consider that the last
> years Jirotech is not supporting packaging (perhaps we should remove
> that part of the description?). I would like to hear from Cameron if
> this is an ongoing sponsorship of his time or if he is spending
> personal time on this project nowadays.
Suggest changing words to something more generic:
Jirotech supports staff contribute to the core management and
development of OSGeo-Live.
> 4. I would like to make a motion to remove the Australian Government’s
> Office of Spatial Data Management as a sponsor, since I have not heard
> from them for many years now and I am not aware of any recent
> sponsorship to the project.
+1 Cameron. The Australian Government's Office of Spatial Data
Management has actually been merged into another department, so can be
dropped from the sponsor page.
> 5. Okeanos is still providing 2 virtual machines that we use for the
> build and release process of OSGeo-Live.
+1 Cameron

>> The description of the OSGeo Foundation should include our vision -
>> "empower everyone with open source geospatial". See
>> http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/about.html
>
> +1
>
>> The description under "The OSGeo Foundation" mixes the foundation and the
>> live gis description. I think you may need to move the following text up
>> further in the page, or add a new heading?
>
> +1
>
>> *This Live GIS disc and virtual-machine has been put together by members of
>> the OSGeo community to showcase their favourite Free and Open Source (FOSS)
>> geospatial software. We’ve included a number of non-OSGeo software
>> packages, GIS focused and otherwise, which we hope you will find to be as
>> useful as we do. The OSGeo Foundation does not recommend or guarantee any
>> associated software, projects, or companies found within.*
>>
>> *These programs are distributed in the hope that they will be useful, but
>> WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY
>> or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.*
>>

>> The list of "OSGeo Supporting Sponsors" is out of date:
>>

>>     - Supporting sponsors is no longer a category, we have bronze, silver,
>>     gold, platinum tiers.
>>        - Seehttp://www.osgeo.org/sponsorship  for details
>>     - The sponsors listed for 2017 are here -
>>     http://www.osgeo.org/content/sponsorship/sponsors.html
>>     - The diamond and platinum sponsor logos are intended to be listed on
>>     all promotional material
>>        - Can we confirm that OSGeo Live is considered a "Key OSGeo marketing
>>        materials"?
>>        - diamond/platinum sponsors for 2017 are GeoCat and Boundless (and
>>        now Digital Globe and IBM if they wish to be cross listed as osgeo
>>        sponsors).
>
> We need to align with the current OSGeo sponsorship scheme.
>
>> The sponsorship "perks" are rewritten each year, so if the OSGeo Live
>> project would like to adjust any of the above expectations for 2018 please
>> make a motion and we can change things up.
>>
>> Keep in mind that OSGeo Live sponsors can be cross linked as osgeo sponsors
>> (any contirbutions they make to the project adds to their total for osgeo
>> sponsorship).
>
> In our case, how can we measure the value of the sponsorship, since we
> do not receive money from the sponsors?
>

> Cheers,
> Angelos
>> --