[Live-demo] Retiring mapnik from OSGeo-Live?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri May 12 01:50:34 PDT 2017

I'm taking the following conversation public - with Dane's permission.

As per below, Dane is suggesting there are not volunteers available to
manage Mapnik's presence on OSGeo-Live, and as such is suggesting it is
a candidate for retiring.

 From the Project Overview [1]

"Mapnik is a toolkit for rendering beautiful maps, with clean, soft
feature edges provided by quality anti-aliasing graphics, intelligent
label placement, and scalable, SVG symbolisation. Most famously, mapnik
is used to render the OpenStreetMap main map layers."

Metrics for the project look reasonably healthy. [2]

The Quickstart could do with some cleaning up.

Am I right in understanding that Mapnik would be considered a "library"
and as we are refocusing on user applications, Mapnik might be a
candidate for retiring on that basis as well?

Comments welcomed.

[1] https://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/mapnik_overview.html

[2] https://live.osgeo.org/en/metrics.html

M +61 419 142 254