[OSGeoLive] Hyper-V VMs

Seth G sethg at geographika.co.uk
Thu May 10 09:01:47 PDT 2018

Hi list,

I'm currently preparing a Python workshop for the OSGeo Ireland meetup, using OSGeo Live as the training environment - it is an exceptional resource.

Several users have Windows 10 Professional machines which are enabled to run Hyper-V, Microsoft's virtualisation software. If this is enabled then VirtualBox doesn't have a x64 option for creating new Linux machines. This feature can be disabled at the command line, or using the https://unclassified.software/en/apps/hypervswitch tool which automates this.
Either option requires a reboot, and means using Hyper-V VMs would require enabling the setting and another reboot.

An alternative is to run the VM under Hyper-V, but this requires converting the .vmdk HD to .vhd. There are a few commandline options and hacks around to do this but only the https://www.starwindsoftware.com/converter option worked for me. The converted OSGeoLive VM then ran fine on Hyper-V.

Is there an option of adding this download to https://sourceforge.net/projects/osgeo-live/files/11.0/ ? It would be another large file to host, and would likely need to be done manually for each release.
Are final builds / uploading to SourceForge currently a manual process?

Regards,

Seth

--
web:http://geographika.co.uk