[OSGeoLive] Hyper-V VMs

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Thu May 10 09:26:31 PDT 2018

On Thu, 10 May 2018 18:01:47 0200, Seth G <sethg at geographika.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm currently preparing a Python workshop for the OSGeo Ireland
> meetup, using OSGeo Live as the training environment - it is an
> exceptional resource.

  Hi Seth

> Several users have Windows 10 Professional machines which are enabled
> to run Hyper-V, Microsoft's virtualisation software. If this is
> enabled then VirtualBox doesn't have a x64 option for creating new
> Linux machines. This feature can be disabled at the command line, or
> using the https://unclassified.software/en/apps/hypervswitch tool
> which automates this.
Either option requires a reboot, and means using Hyper-V VMs would
require enabling the setting and another reboot.

  ok, new to me, but if I understand, Windows 10 plus Hyper-V has some
'features' which prevent people from executing a VM ..
a small tool works around this..

> An alternative is to run the VM under Hyper-V, but this requires
> converting the .vmdk HD to .vhd. There are a few commandline options
> and hacks around to do this but only the
> https://www.starwindsoftware.com/converter option worked for me. The
> converted OSGeoLive VM then ran fine on Hyper-V.

  So, you take the VirtualBox VM setup, and then convert just the disk
image ?  and the result runs without more steps under Hyper-V ?

> Is there an option of adding this download to
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/osgeo-live/files/11.0/ ? It would be
> another large file to host, and would likely need to be done manually
> for each release.

   Yes, a new file could be added to sourceforge.. What is it and do
we want it is the next part  :-)

> Are final builds / uploading to SourceForge currently a manual process?

   builds and uploads are automated with manual steps, might be one
way to say it..
What is the time frame for your setup?

  This is the first time anyone has requested Hyper-V support, that I
know of..

--
Brian M Hamlin
OSGeo California