[OSGeoLive] OSGeoLive at FOSS4G Community Day

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 02:54:28 PST 2018

I'm still a long way from completing my todo list post the
FOSS4G-Oceania conference, but wanted to report back on progress made at
the FOSS4G Oceania Community Day last week.

We had ~ 15 people join our OSGeoLive room, and split into three focus
groups:

1. Doc review:

* The first group focused on doc review, where we helped people boot up
OSGeoLive in a Virtual Machine, and get it running.

* Stella managed to build docs from within the VM, and made her first
doc pull request for some tweaks the the QGIS quickstart.

* Johanna had challenges getting the VM set up on her computer, but
reports getting it working from home afterwards.

* Neal was developing an email to send to our list with suggestions on
User Experience.

2. Installing OSGeo-Live in AWS

* John from Amazon led this team in working out how to build an Amazon AMI

* Bruce Anger is in the process of documenting steps:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12Hix3gAlOkbpyBj9EjOza-JLMEvS6l135Z-Hpuw7ZlU/edit?ts=5bf77367

Theoretically all we need do is upload our vmdk as an AMI, but it
appears we might need to change the way we make our vmdk and probably
will need to install a couple of extra applications in our image.

Bruce is planning to continue with this over the next few weeks, and
John has offered to continue mentoring.

There was another person joining in this team, but I have to confess to
forgetting his name.

3. Investigating creating a template for building training/tutorial
material, focusing initially on QGIS.

This was an exploratory exercise which was more about QGIS training than
about OSGeoLive, but was getting done in conjunction with us. We've
noticed that there appears to be many people running QGIS training
courses and we would all benefit if the material came back into a common
repository.

Ideas collated here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12Hix3gAlOkbpyBj9EjOza-JLMEvS6l135Z-Hpuw7ZlU/edit?ts=5bf77367

and

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hfyzpPNNAwj9VAt3X4TUpdXXXPu9EDvu-S4OOCUnOj4/edit#

I'm expecting conversations on this topic to continue on the austnz-qgis
email list:

https://groups.google.com/group/australian-qgis-user-group

Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254