[OSGeoLive] Contributor list Transifex and ML announcements review and policies

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 14:04:10 PDT 2018

Nicholas,

There are a number of points here:

1. One of the OSGeo incubation criteria is that we ensure that all
contributions to OSGeo are available via our Open Licenses. We achieve
that by ensuring that every person who contributes to OSGeo writes a
public statement saying they agree with our open license, as per:

https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki/Source_code

If we are to comply with our OSGeo Incubation obligations, then we will
need to extend this to Translations.

How can we ensure that anyone contributing to Transifex is ok with our
open license? Can we get them to send the same email before we give them
access? (I think we are ok if people use an alias or git id instead of
their real name. One of our contributors is called wildintellect, and I
don't know what his/her real name is).

The importance of ensuring license compliance is because lack of license
compliance can become a barrier to entry for corporations who are scared
of being sued if they use Open Source.

2. If someone contributes to our project, it is the right thing for us
to acknowledge them.

3. A good measure of OSGeoLive's success is to quote the number of
people who have contributed. Ie, it is good for us to track number of
contributors.

So I suggest:
* Update to note that to contribute, we will be expecting to have your
permission if we are to use your translations. You can see email
conversation last time we were retrospectively chasing down agreements
from people for their Open Source contributions here:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/osgeolive/2011-July/thread.html . In
particular:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/osgeolive/2011-July/003686.html

* We could be creative in the way that we confirm commitment to Open
licenses.

** Maybe insert a prominent statement in our translation page (ideally
next to the [submit] button) saying "by submitting are are agreeing to
make your content available via our open license policy" and link to our
open policy page.

** Request people add their name to our list of contributors page (not
sure how we do that, but we can work out details later)

Cheers, Cameron

On 15/9/18 3:25 am, Vicky Vergara wrote:
> Thanks for moving the discussion to the OSGeoLive mailing list.
> Regards
>
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 12:33 AM Nicolas Roelandt
> <roelandtn.pro at gmail.com <mailto:roelandtn.pro at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     I asked for a review of an announcement [1] for our contributors
>     and translators regarding the new European General Data Protection
>     Regulation (GDPR) [2].
>
>     It was not straightforward as I thought and it became a debate.
>
>     My mistake was not to publish the link to the draft here, as I
>     wanted to avoid mails here about "Fix that, add this, ..."
>
>     I was wrong, so please next time, tell me to bring it to the
>     public mailing list.
>
>     The debate is not settled and was already bring it there. We just
>     released 12.0 so I think we can discuss it now and have clear
>     policies.
>
>     Best,
>
>     Nicolas
>
>     [1]
>     https://mensuel.framapad.org/p/osgeolive_contributor_consent_message
>     [2] https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection_en

> Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
> Salzmannstraße 44,
> 81739 München, Germany
>
> Vicky Vergara
> Operations Research
>
> eMail: vicky at georepublic.de <http://georepublic.de>
> Web:https://georepublic.info
>
> Tel: +49 (089) 4161 7698-1
> Fax: +49 (089) 4161 7698-9
>
> Commercial register: Amtsgericht München, HRB 181428
> CEO: Daniel Kastl

Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254