[OSGeoLive] Revisiting requirements for contributor agreements

Ben Caradoc-Davies ben at transient.nz
Mon Sep 24 15:03:06 PDT 2018

I think that OSGeoLive should require all current and new contributors,
who have not already done so, to sign an OSGeo contributor agreement,
except in the case of tiny contributions that are mixed in with existing
works. AFAIK, OSGeo contributor agreements cover contributions to any
OSGeo project, so if you have signed one for another project, you should
be covered.

Contributor agreements that either assign copyright or grant an
irrevocable licence with a right to sublicense protect projects from
contributors who revoke or threaten to revoke the right to use their
contribution. The OSGeo contributor agreement grants an irrevocable
licence with a right to sublicense.

In the last few weeks, the vulnerability of projects that fail to either
assign copyright or grant an irrevocable licence with a right to
sublicense has been a topic of great interest in the Linux community,
after the adoption of a new Code of Conduct, an allegation of misconduct
against a core developer, and threats to rescind the licence of
contributions:
https://lulz.com/linux-devs-threaten-killswitch-coc-controversy-1252/
Tim Pool reads through an older version of the LULZ article:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5VvJiNUCIA

Regardless of the merits of any code of conduct or allegations of a
breach, copyright assignment or something like the OSGeo contributor
agreement (which is based on the Apache contributor agreement) would
have prevented this threat to the viability of the Linux project.

Ideally, we would go back and obtain contributor agreements from all
past contributors, but obtaining contributor agreements from current
active and new contributors would in my view provide sufficient
protection going forward. Small contributions are lower risk and by
turning a blind eye we lower barrier to entry but it would be nice to
set a rule of thumb as to what is small.

Kind regards,
Ben.

Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben at transient.nz>
Director