[OSGeoLive] Proj6 questions - draft

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 02:46:53 PDT 2019

Thanks Bas for this technical insight. This proj.h adoption table
provides a useful insight adoption. What would be really useful is if we
can collect expected implementation timelines. Do you know if anyone has
been collecting such information?

I feel there it would be useful to community from techies to the wider
user community about:

What is proj6. What is all the fuss about.

Who is implementing it. Who isn't.

When will it be done?

What packaging mismatches are we going to encounter during the cross
over period?

Can we support multiple versions of proj libraries?

If so, we should be able to tell the story of which applications will be
using which proj library for upcoming OSGeoLive releases.

On 7/4/19 6:04 pm, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 4/7/19 9:26 AM, Johanna Botman wrote:
>> OSGeoLive wants version 13 to be based around Proj6 but understands that
>> projects are using different versions and are at different stages of
>> development and upgrade.
> Very ambitious. Too ambitious I suspect.
>
> Have a look at the proj.h adoption status wiki to see how few projects
> have adopted proj.h already:
>
>   https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/wiki/proj.h-adoption-status
>
> All projects that still use projects.h cannot be built with PROJ 6,
> projects that use proj_api.h need to define
> ACCEPT_USE_OF_DEPRECATED_PROJ_API_H, most projects at time of writing
> don't do this yet, so the build process needs to this (e.g. by setting
> it in the CFLAGS environment variable).
>
> Because libgeotiff >= 1.5.0 and gdal >= 2.5 all require proj >= 6.0.0,
> these transitions will be entangled complicating matter significantly.
>
> Projects only recently started working on PROJ 6.0.0 support, and very
> few have published releases with that support already. The adoption so
> far has uncovered some issues that will be fixed in PROJ 6.1.0, and I
> suspect that even more issues will be uncovered after that which will
> required further changes in PROJ before projects can fully support it.
>
>> Do you depend on the Proj library?
> And if you do, is you project listed on the above mentioned wiki?
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Bas

Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254