[OSGeoLive] Proj6 questions - draft

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 7 01:04:59 PDT 2019

On 4/7/19 9:26 AM, Johanna Botman wrote:
> OSGeoLive wants version 13 to be based around Proj6 but understands that
> projects are using different versions and are at different stages of
> development and upgrade.

Very ambitious. Too ambitious I suspect.

Have a look at the proj.h adoption status wiki to see how few projects
have adopted proj.h already:

 https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/wiki/proj.h-adoption-status

All projects that still use projects.h cannot be built with PROJ 6,
projects that use proj_api.h need to define
ACCEPT_USE_OF_DEPRECATED_PROJ_API_H, most projects at time of writing
don't do this yet, so the build process needs to this (e.g. by setting
it in the CFLAGS environment variable).

Because libgeotiff >= 1.5.0 and gdal >= 2.5 all require proj >= 6.0.0,
these transitions will be entangled complicating matter significantly.

Projects only recently started working on PROJ 6.0.0 support, and very
few have published releases with that support already. The adoption so
far has uncovered some issues that will be fixed in PROJ 6.1.0, and I
suspect that even more issues will be uncovered after that which will
required further changes in PROJ before projects can fully support it.

> Do you depend on the Proj library?

And if you do, is you project listed on the above mentioned wiki?

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1