[OSGeoLive] All OSGeoLive Docs versions online

Astrid Emde (OSGeo) astrid_emde at osgeo.org
Tue Dec 17 08:46:26 PST 2019

Hello,

question: I can't find the archive from ealier Versions at

https://live.osgeo.org/archive/
works
https://live.osgeo.org/archive/4.5/en/index.html
does not work
https://live.osgeo.org/archive/2.0/

At Seths link you get the whole list
https://osgeolive.geographika.co.uk/

By the way: shall we write a news item about it or tweet.

LIke:
We are happy to announce that @OSGeoLive has published a historical
archive of past releases. Thanks a lot to @geographika.
Starting from Version 4.5 you can
https://live.osgeo.org/archive/4.5/en/index.html
https://live.osgeo.org/archive/

Astrid

Am 16.12.2019 11:02 schrieb Angelos Tzotsos:
> [...]
>>>
>>> * Try and work out how to fix the symlink problem as you suggest. You
>>> might be able to find Hamish's old symlink generation script in the
>>> bin/
>>> directory somewhere to help with that. (This sounds like a lot of
>>> work).
>>>
>>> * Copy the HTML from our archive web pages (which uses duplicate
>>> images). This will create a large repository due to duplicate images,
>>> which isn't perfect, but we will be rarely working on the archive
>>> repository, so it is probably acceptable.
>> I've written a small Python script to change the symlinks to copies of
>> the images.
>> See
>> https://github.com/geographika/OSGeoLive-doc/blob/gh-pages/scripts/symlinks.py
>> It does create a larger repo, but probably simpler to manage across
>> different OSs than symlinks in the long-term.
>> All images should now be visible in the archive URL.
>>
>>> 1. I think this historical archive of past releases you have created
>>> is
>>> really valuable.
>> Thanks!
>>
>>> 2. I think it should be findable from the main docs, probably as a
>>> small
>>> link at the bottom of https://live.osgeo.org : Prior releases and
>>> docs
>>> can be found in our <a href="archive">archive/</a>. This archive
>>> would
>>> be the jump page you have created.
>> Sounds good. I guess we need to decide where the archive will be
>> hosted (which URL/subdomain).
>> Maybe https://archive.osgeo.org/ or Maybe
>> https://livearchive.osgeo.org/ ?
>> Who would be contact with regards to setting up a domain name?
>>
>>> 3. While the archive jump page can be stored in our master docs, I
>>> don't
>>> think we should store each releases' archive in there. We can either
>>> keep it on a directory, as was previously done for prior releases. Or
>>> put into git, as you have done (which I like). I think that it
>>> deserves
>>> its own repository, something like OSGeoLive-doc-archive
>> Currently the archive is in a branch so shouldn't increase size of git
>> clone downloads etc. but
>> moving to its own archive may make things clearer.
>> Who would we contact with regards to creating a new repo at
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/ ?
>>
>>> 4. We should capture information about the latest doc release, and
>>> information about the archive in our build process documentation
>>> wiki:
>>> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki. Would you like to update this?
>>> (You deserve the credit in the wiki history.)
>> The build information is already linked to on
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki
>> I've updated the link to the development build to point to OSGeoLive
>> home page (development version).
>>
>>> 5. Felicity has a bunch of pull requests for quickstarts.
>>> https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/pulls which are to be
>>> processed
>>> for the 13.1 doc release early next year. I'll try and get at least