[OSGeoLive] Adding the MapCache project to OSGeoLive

Seth G sethg at geographika.co.uk
Tue Jul 23 07:51:10 PDT 2019

Hi all,

I'd like to propose re-adding MapCache back to OSGeoLive, and I have completed the installer, and project overview and quickstart.

I realise this is very late in the release cycle for v13 so this can be left for a future release. I'm willing to test/review thoroughly on a beta if there is a desire to add to v13. MapCache is already available via Debian packaging which may make its inclusion possible.

The docs are at https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/pull/475
The OSGeoLive install script is at https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive/pull/269

The page at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Apply  has a list of questions with regards to adding a new project to OSGeoLive - answers to these questions (where applicable) are below.

What is its name?
MapCache

What does the application do and how does it add value to the GeoSpatial stack of software?

MapCache is a server that implements tile caching. It is part of the MapServer family, and was started in 2011. It has previously been on older versions of OSGeoLive, but I believe was dropped due to lack of documentation. The pull requests above aim to address this. Packaging is already in Debian for MapCache 1.6.1.

What is the home page URL?
https://mapserver.org/mapcache/

Which OSI approved Open Source Licence is used?
MIT style license - https://mapserver.org/copyright.html#license

Does the application make use of OGC standards? Which versions of the standards? Client or server?
Uses OGC standards - WMS, WMTS, WMS - client and server

What language is it written in?

Which version of the application should be included in the next OSGeo-Live release?
1.6.1

Has the application been rolled out to production into risk (ideally risk adverse) organisations?
Yes

What is the Open HUB URL for your project?
https://www.openhub.net/p/mapcache

What is the size of your developer community?
8 developers have contributed in the last year

What is the size of the user community?
The mailing list is shared with MapServer so hard to guage exactly.

Please discuss the level of testing that your project has gone through.
8 years in production systems. A small test suite at https://github.com/mapserver/mapcache/tree/master/tests

How much disk space will be required to install the application and a suitable example application?
Packages are listed at https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntu/ubuntugis-unstable/+packages
With all files the total install should be < 5MB

Who will act as the project's liaison person?
I'm willing to act as the project liaison.

How long has the project has had mature code?
Since 2011

Do you have a bug free, stable release?
Yes (although some open issues as with every project)

If anyone has any further questions please send them on and I'll attempt to answer them.
Regards,

Seth

--
web:http://geographika.co.uk