[OSGeoLive] Quick starts status update (Google Season of Docs)

Seth G sethg at geographika.co.uk
Mon Oct 7 07:34:16 PDT 2019

Hi Felicity,

With regards to the Sphinx markup, using the directives would have the following advantages:

- allow a consistent way to show menu selections (or any conventions such as File > Open, File -> Open, File | Open could be used. It is probably simplest to stay with the Sphinx convention rather than create a new one.
- allow a theme to be applied across all the docs in the future e.g. the GUI labels at https://sphinx-rtd-theme.readthedocs.io/en/stable/demo/demo.html#inline-markup
- shortcut keys can be applied to the labels e.g. button :guilabel:`&Start`

It may also help with translating and matching GUI labels in different languages.

If they are already widely used I'd be in favour of keeping them  and applying elsewhere.

Seth

--
web:http://geographika.co.uk
twitter: @geographika