[OSGeoLive] Quick starts status update (Google Season of Docs)

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 13:42:44 PDT 2019

Hi Felicity, comments inline:

On 11/10/19 3:01 pm, Felicity Brand wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am about to do my proof of concept trial with 2 Quick Starts. I
> thought I'd choose MapSlicer and Mapbender because both Astrid and
> Angelos expressed an interest in improving the Quickstarts for their
> projects :-)
Good idea to start with projects which have a volunteer. Based on that
criteria, mail at activityworkshop.net has offered to help with gps_prune.

> This should give me good practice to see if the GitHub process works
> out, as well as creating the trac tickets.
>
> Before I do anything, here is what I thought the trac ticket might
> look like - please let me know if any of these values should be
> different:
>
> *Summary = Update the [Project Name] Quick Start
Good.
> *Description = The [Project Name] Quick Start was reviewed by flicstar
> as part of the Google Season of Docs in October 2019.
> The high level results of this review are that:
> - It has an Overview, Procedure and Things to Try section - which is good.
> - It is missing the Next Steps section and requires minor updates in
> the Procedure section.
> Please see comments in GitHub on this PR: <Insert PR link>
Sounds good.
> *Type = Task
While "task" is ok, I'd err on categorising as a "bug", especially if
the docs are breaking the template structure by not aligning with best
practice headings and guidelines.
> *Priority = Normal
Good
> *Milestone = OSGeoLive 14.0
Good
> *Component = Documentation (or OSGeoLive?)
Yes, "Documentation"
> *Keywords - should I add a keyword (like "documentation")?
We don't need to fill this in, but it could be handy to add "quickstart"
so we can search of quickstart reviews in future.
> *Will I assign it to an owner - like the contact person for the project?

We typically have not done this in the past. You likely won't know the
username of 1/4 to 1/2 of the contact people. However, you could add
people's email addressed to the "CC" tab. (Note, many people won't
notice this auto email.)

So follow up with an email to people directly, with a personal email
title, stating something like:

"I've just raised comments on the [Project] quickstart. Would you mind
having a look? I'm keen to process feedback before my SeasonOfDocs
stipend finishes in November. If you could provide feedback within the
next week or 2, that would be great.

Thanks, Felicity, SeasonOfDocs Tech Writer for OSGeo"

> Is there a bulk way to create trac tickets?
Not that I'm aware of, but I haven't looked.

> [...]
>>
>> --
>>
>> Your suggestions for raising 50 trac tickets and 50 pull requests sound reasonable for me. I suggest doing one top-to-bottom and get feedback before continuing with the rest.
>>
>> Also, after reviewing a project's Quickstart, I suggest sending a direct email to that project's point of contact(s). Most don't monitor the OSGeoLive email list closely and will appreciate the email.
>>
>> You will also get a range of opinions on how hands on each person will be with their project. Some will accept every suggestion you make. Others will take it as guidance and then rewrite.
>>
>> Cheers, Cameron
>>
>> On 7/10/19 6:10 pm, Nicolas Roelandt wrote:
>>
>> Hi Felicity,
>>
>> Thanks for working on this and asking things !
>>
>> For the Sphinx markup, I don't have a good response. I did like it was made as it is part of the process.
>> But this can be questioned !
>>
>> For your comments, if you don't want to change code and make a PR, fill an issue in Trac so we can comment on it.
>>
>> Trac is our main issue tracker so I think that it is better to fill your projects tickets there too.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Warm regards,
>>
>> Nicolas Roelandt
>>
>> Le lun. 7 oct. 2019 à 06:57, Felicity Brand <felicitybrand at gmail.com> a écrit :
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I've been working on the Quick Start template and there are a couple
>>> of questions I wanted to ask.
>>>
>>> I have come across the Sphinx markup :guilabel: and :menuselection:
>>> What do we gain by using these? It seems to me something extra to
>>> type. I understand we can then render them a particular way, but if
>>> it's just going to be rendered bold it feels like more effort than
>>> it's worth. But please let me know if I'm missing something in my
>>> understanding here. Do we want to continue using this convention?
>>>
>>> I'd like some guidance on my process next.
>>> At a previous meeting, we agreed that the best way for me to give
>>> feedback would be GitHub comments. I think I need to raise a PR in
>>> order to be able to comment on the code. But I didn't intend on making
>>> any changes...so I'm not sure what would go in my PR. Unless I make
>>> some kind of nominal change that we all agree on beforehand? I suppose
>>> we'll want a PR per project quick start - so that would be maybe 50
>>> PRs. Is that cool with everyone?
>>>
>>> My intention was to also create about 50 trac tickets, one for each
>>> project. These would include the details of my rating score of the
>>> quick start and perhaps a link to the relevant GitHub PR. I thought it
>>> would be appropriate to have trac as well as GitHub so that anyone
>>> could look at the trac ticket and pick up from there. What do folk
>>> think about that?
>>>
>>> I'm not ready to start any GitHub work yet, but I wanted to get
>>> discussion on this rolling so that I know what to do when that time

>>> Felicity