[OSGeoLive] Disk space on iso and candidate projects to move to VM only

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 12:11:28 PST 2020

Hi all,

While fixing the tomcat issue yesterday I realized that all war files
were missing from the iso, thus giving us a false impression that some
projects were included but just failed to start. After the fix, the disk
space went over 4GB immediately and we are in a broken situation once
again. This made me realize that we need to make up a decision on what
fits in the iso and what not (Note we have already remove things like
LibreOffice and dev libraries from the iso)

I went through the disk space graph from latest build logs and filled in
a new "disk usage" column E here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q5BaEgQtgw4O1bXyeWMlM8XtAOhUgcjZ7Y2O0FZc2H0/edit#gid=961883678

On column D we have potential candidates for moving to VM only based on
the following criteria:
1. Is it an OSGeo Project?
2. Is it an OSGeo Community Project?
3. Does it occupy more than 400 MB?
4. Does it occupy more than 200 MB?
5. Has the project provided recent releases?

The colors on column D indicate: Green (safe), Yellow (not totally
safe), Orange (candidate for VM only).

Here is the list of candidates (orange):
1. gvSIG (445MB) - OSGeo Project
2. rasdaman (422MB) - Community Project
3. GeoStyler (416MB) - Community Project
4. uDig (218MB)
5. gmt (187MB)
6. 52nSOS (180MB)
7. re3gistry

Note that from the above list, only gmt and uDig are currently included
in the nightly iso.
This indicates that we have ~400MB of space to work with, e.g. we can
include gvSIG (it is the only graduated project missing from the current
iso) and move gmt and uDig to VM only

In the "yellow" list I also see some other options:
1. xygrib (130MB)
2. opencpn (100MB)
3. OpenJump (67 MB)

Thoughts?