[OSGeoLive] Disk space on iso and candidate projects to move to VM only

edgar.soldin at web.de edgar.soldin at web.de
Thu Dec 17 10:30:12 PST 2020

once again. this is only necessary if a 4GB limit is taken for granted. in a time where space becomes abundant and dual layer dvds, 8GB+ usb sticks are readily available _and_ cheap i'd suggest concentrating efforts to tackle the limit instead of minimizing the users choice.

consider it an investment into the future. software tends to get bigger and bigger (unfortunately) anyway as resources become less scarce.

..ede

On 17.12.2020 17:05, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We also need to take into account a penalty factor:
> e.g. internal duplication of libraries, packaging issues
>
> Another problem is that we do not know x when versions change. x is known only after successful installation.
>
> On 12/17/20 5:09 PM, Vicky Vergara wrote:
>> Hello Angelos
>> My thoughts,
>> As this is the first time VM != ISO it's the opportunity to think of all
>> the rules that will come up in the future
>> So I am putting my idea in form of an algorithm.
>>
>> procedure install_less_than(X size of package)
>> if it occupies more than X MB then vmdk regardless of the Category
>> Start filling the ISO:
>>     trying to fill first the: OSGeo projects
>>     then the OSGeo Community projects
>>     then the others
>>     No technical difficulties -> goes into ISO
>> when ISO is full exit
>>
>> x = 400
>> while ISO is not full do
>> execute procedure install_less_than(x MB)
>> x := x - 50
>> period of trying to solve technical difficulties, approach the projects, etc
>> enddo
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 2:11 PM Angelos Tzotsos <gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> While fixing the tomcat issue yesterday I realized that all war files
>>> were missing from the iso, thus giving us a false impression that some
>>> projects were included but just failed to start. After the fix, the disk
>>> space went over 4GB immediately and we are in a broken situation once
>>> again. This made me realize that we need to make up a decision on what
>>> fits in the iso and what not (Note we have already remove things like
>>> LibreOffice and dev libraries from the iso)
>>>
>>> I went through the disk space graph from latest build logs and filled in
>>> a new "disk usage" column E here:
>>>
>>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q5BaEgQtgw4O1bXyeWMlM8XtAOhUgcjZ7Y2O0FZc2H0/edit#gid=961883678
>>>
>>> On column D we have potential candidates for moving to VM only based on
>>> the following criteria:
>>> 1. Is it an OSGeo Project?
>>> 2. Is it an OSGeo Community Project?
>>> 3. Does it occupy more than 400 MB?
>>> 4. Does it occupy more than 200 MB?
>>> 5. Has the project provided recent releases?
>>>
>>> The colors on column D indicate: Green (safe), Yellow (not totally
>>> safe), Orange (candidate for VM only).
>>>
>>> Here is the list of candidates (orange):
>>> 1. gvSIG (445MB) - OSGeo Project
>>> 2. rasdaman (422MB) - Community Project
>>> 3. GeoStyler (416MB) - Community Project
>>> 4. uDig (218MB)
>>> 5. gmt (187MB)
>>> 6. 52nSOS (180MB)
>>> 7. re3gistry
>>>
>>> Note that from the above list, only gmt and uDig are currently included
>>> in the nightly iso.
>>> This indicates that we have ~400MB of space to work with, e.g. we can
>>> include gvSIG (it is the only graduated project missing from the current
>>> iso) and move gmt and uDig to VM only
>>>
>>> In the "yellow" list I also see some other options:
>>> 1. xygrib (130MB)
>>> 2. opencpn (100MB)