[OSGeoLive] MB-System software on OSGeoLive 15.0

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Mon Jan 30 16:15:42 PST 2023

Greetings Ms. Idzikowska -

  thank you for contacting the OSGeoLive team mailing list.

The MB-System software you are inquiring about has been retired on the OSGeoLive disk since 2016. A brief look at the project file

    https://github.com/dwcaress/MB-System/archive/5.7.8.tar.gz

shows that the MB_System is built from many components, including:

  * GDAL and PROJ

  * GMT and netCDF

  * python, libfftw3 and the X11 window system

and more.. it appears that the maintainers of the DebianGIS packaging, and the maintainers of UbuntuGIS packaging, have retired the MB-System from current builds for some years.  Several major components listed there have changed in important ways since 2016. Therefore, it is not a simple project to build from source code, or make a new dot-deb package available.

You can find appropriate desktop hardware from about ten years ago at low cost and install the OSGeoLive release 8 on a disk drive. The computer will run MB-System with matching software with OSGeoLive 8 installed.

perhaps others on the mailing list might have ideas

best regards  --Brian M Hamlin    /  MAPLABS  /  OSGeoLive PSC