[Ottawa_users] (no subject)

Godwin, Elizabeth Godwinl at AGR.GC.CA
Tue Nov 13 16:16:26 EST 2007

I've had Projection errors when I havn't properly set up my epsg codes
on the server.  ie.. I have a special version with epsg 42304 in it, and
if I havn't copied it over, it bails (because I refer to it in my map
files).  Thus causing the subsequent errors.  Does that help?  I don't
remember the specific error I get - but it's along those lines.
To the second part - I'd be interested in such a "debug-fest".  I've
been wanting to get up to speed with version 5 and this would be a good
way to get into the nitty gritty changes.
That said - i'm off for a couple of weeks, so if it was in December or
later it would be better for me - although not necessarily better for
the lab.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: ottawa_users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
[mailto:ottawa_users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Sampson,
	Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 12:29 PM
	To: ottawa_users at lists.osgeo.org
	Subject: [Ottawa_users] (no subject)

	The bellow was scrubbed from our mailing list so I C/P'ed here 


	A plea for help, since there are so many of you with relevant
experience on this list.  First, some background, then a specific
problem on a machine in the student lab, followed by a general appeal
for help to fix various little bugs here in the Carleton labs.

	We've been using Chameleon for various assignments and labs at
Carleton for at least a few years.  Initially DMSolutions sent in people

	Jeff!) to set up and help run the lab, and in the past couple of
years I've managed to run them on my own.  We used a combination of
student development on Windows and Linux machines, and then publishing
on a Mac Server box.  It worked quite well.

	This year, the Windows machines have had new security software
installed which prompted me to suggest that those students in my fourth
year class which wanted to use mapserv/chameleon in their projects do so
under Linux, since we're also using the OS for other work in the class
(so they have familiarity in the environment which many of the other
students don't). 

	But I'm starting to kick myself, because the linux in this lab
was also updated last summer, and the new distribution sets everything
up with SELinux security.  It took me a couple of weeks, but I THINK I
FINALLY have got rid of all the blocks that created.  But I'm also using
newer chameleon code, and I'm getting php errors which aren't obviously
pointing at the problem, at least from my tired, exasperated point of
view - e.g.:

	[Tue Nov 13 11:39:08 2007] [error] [client] PHP
	[MapServer Error]: msProcessProjection(): no system list, errno:
2\n\n in
on line 215, referer: http://localhost/samples/
<http://localhost/samples/>  [Tue Nov 13 11:39:08 2007] [error] [client] PHP Warning:  Failed to open map file
/var/www/html/chameleon-2.6.0rc1/samples/map/chameleon.map in
on line 215, referer: http://localhost/samples/
<http://localhost/samples/>  [Tue Nov 13 11:39:08 2007] [error] [client] PHP Notice:  Trying to get property of non-object in
/var/www/html/chameleon-2.6.0rc1/htdocs/chameleon.php on line 766,

	referer: http://localhost/samples/ <http://localhost/samples/>  
	[Tue Nov 13 11:39:08 2007] [error] [client] PHP Fatal
	Call to a member function set() on a non-object in

	on line 197, referer: http://localhost/samples/

	Does that mean anything to any of you? 

	Meanwhile, over on my main web server, a series of upgrades to
GDAL, PHP, etc, all combined to break the pre-existing mapserv and
chameleon projects from past years.  I upgraded mapserv itself to 5.0
and now mapserv-only projects are working, and the chameleon apps are
"partially" working - basic functionality is there but some button
images are not being found. 

	This has been a lower priority for me, but should be fixed at
some point. 
	In addition, if that had been working properly, I would have had
these students just do their projects on the main server instead of the
lab machines.  I mention it here to see if anyone feels up to helping me
go through the errors and try to get that server in shape - either
interactively online, or maybe just an evening physically in the lab?

	Is there any interest in a group "OSGEO web server
implementation debug fest" / workshop ? :)  Getting these machines fixed
up would also make it feasible to run web mapping workshops in here in
the new year, after all. 

	In addition, I know that Cameron Wilson intends to run web
mapping exercises in this lab next term in an advanced cartography
class, so lessons and repairs now will really help the program overall.

	I realize I've escalated this from a small request to a giant
appeal, but perhaps you guys have better ideas than me about how to
approach this.


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/ottawa_users/attachments/20071113/cdf361a1/attachment.html

More information about the Ottawa_users mailing list