[Ottawa_users] GeoNetwork

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Aug 6 11:22:30 EDT 2008

Regie Alam wrote:
> Hello All,
>
>    Has anybody in the group have first hand experience
> with GeoNetwork? I've looked at the site
> (http://geonetwork-opensource.org) but couldn't yet
> figure out what it is and it's capabilities. Can it
> actually act like a database and store data, or does
> it just point to the locations of data?
>
>    Also, I couldn't find any information regarding how
> to prepare data to be incorporated into GeoNetwork.
> The focus it seems is searching the data when
> everything has been incorporated.

Regie,

I have only very minimal experience with GeoNetwork, but my understanding
is that it stores the metadata about your geodata in it's database and
serves that.  The actual geodata would be somewhere else (presumably in
the filesystem).

I tried setting up the metadata records for some data in geonetwork once
in the past, but failed.  It seemed I was missing something.

Nevertheless, it is widely used and well regarded, so don't be put off my
failure as my efforts were pretty feeble.   Just messing around really.

I did do a half day GeoNetwork training session a couple years ago, but
that focused on customizing geonetwork.

Best regards,