[Ottawa_users] OS GIS session at CAG 2009

Scott Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Mon Dec 22 11:02:18 EST 2008

Greetings, all,

The annual meeting of the Canadian Association of Geographers will be
at Carleton in May 2009 (26th-29th) as part of the larger Congress of
the Humanities and Social Sciences.  Our department is responsible for
scheduling the CAG sessions (and also the meeting of the Environmental
Studies Association of Canada, for those interested in that meeting).

I want to re-invigorate the tradition of having a "GIS Day" within the
CAG (it took a 1 year hiatus last year), which simply means that at
least every slot in the schedule that day has a GIS-themed session in
it, and where "GIS" has a broad definition, including remote sensing,
etc (what our department calls "geomatics", others call "GI Science",
etc). If there are more GIS-themed sessions, they spill over into
other days.

I'd like to see at least one of those paper sessions (and maybe a
poster theme?) allocated to open source GIS, and at January's meeting,
I'd like to get your feedback on what role our chapter / members from
our chapter might want to play.  So have a think about it, and let me
know.  I'll find out about exhibition space, too.  Not sure what
financial considerations there might be there.  Also, feel free to
pass the word to any contacts you think might be interested in a
presentation at a "friendly", academic conference.

Thanks!

Scott Mitchell
Scott_Mitchell at carleton.ca
smitch at mac.com etc etc