[Ottawa_users] Open Source Solutions that handle MGRS

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Thu Jan 10 13:07:39 EST 2008

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: ottawa_users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
[mailto:ottawa_users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Frank
Warmerdam
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:50
To: Ottawa (Canada) Local Chapter List
Subject: Re: [Ottawa_users] Open Source Solutions that handle MGRS

Sampson, David wrote:
> Hmmm,
>
> I think the key for this use of MGRS is the ability to communicate
> with other searching authorities like police and military. Apparently
> many SAR teams are moving over to MGRS for use in the field.
>
> Can the code below be used using any of the command line tools? Or are

> they stand alone snipets?  Could a python script exploit the snippets
> for use in a plugin or something?

Dave,

None of the existing PROJ.4 or GDAL coordinate transformation utilities
and APIs support MGRS - as I mentioned before - because it isn't a
coordinate tuple.

You could either write a custom MGRS oriented commandline utility
calling into the existing code or recast the operations in mgrs into
python and write a python utility.

Best regards,
warmerdam at pobox.com
and watch the world go round - Rush    | President OSGeo,
http://osgeo.org