[Ottawa_users] Privacy, Security and Trust

Dave Sampson samper.d at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 21:46:16 EDT 2008

Good to hear about the meeting schedule,

We'll most likely see you there.

Right now in Fredericton at a privacy, security and trust conference.
Makes me think alot about security as it pertains to GIS and especialy
the nature of distributed GIS and furthermore with the nature of
sensitive info like health data.

There is no stream or discussion of geospatial. I think this security
perspective is a potential area that is lacking traction in the
geospatial world. A fe paper presented look at open source as both a
solutions and a problem. Especially when looking at source code of
software that has been developed with the purpose of achieving a given
task (say a GIS) in mind, and not necessarily security.

>From an OSGEO point  of view, I am wondering if there is a  security
aspect to code review. Perhaps security isn't a big issue, however I see
lots of connections  and opportunities relating to security of software
that is trying to find  a  niche in enterprise and government systems.

Thoughts?

Cheersn