[Ottawa_users] Ottawa Chapter Meeting - April

Sampson, David David.Sampson at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Wed Apr 14 08:05:00 EDT 2010

When you download GeoNetwork, which is a geospatial metadata catalogue,
you will also get GeoServer for serving out data (WMS, WFS, WCS, GeoRSS,
RSS, KML,etc, etc, etc).

One principle to remember is that if your data is not discoverable it is
not usable. A catalogue helps people discover your data.

As a geographer I would be hesitant in using data without metadata
because it is going to tell me if the data will match my other data,
what services it comes from and when it was created plus a whole lot
more.

Also as a geographer I find creating metadata a pain. GeoNetwork can be
pointed to a WMS instance and harvest metadata from the service. It may
not be a full explanation but it takes a lot of the maintaining out of
the game.

GeoNetwork and GeoServer are a nice little stack, especially for people
more comfortable with a GUI than text files and command lines. With that
said "Long Live the CLI".

There are, like any product selection choices some challenges to be
overcome. Future releases of both will be addressing some of those
challenges.

So we can chat more about the relationships and experiences on Thursday.

Cheers