[Ottawa_users] Fall Meetups: Upcoming Ideas & Need For Scheduling Dates

richard burcher drownedfrog at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 05:50:45 PDT 2012

Hi Folks,

Hope you're all enjoying the long weekend here!

First off I'd like to propose that for the upcoming fall meet ups that we
agree the dates for a few months out. I would like to lock in Sept-Nov.
Reason for this is I have been in contact with several people outside of our
community to get them to present/talk. Makes it easier to approach
prospective individuals/groups if we can give them concrete dates. We're all
pretty busy people & the more notice for calendars the better:)

Venue:
Same -- Fox & Feather on Elgin

Proposed Dates:
- Sept 20 -- Can we please stay with this date. For speakers below I've
already committed to this
- Oct 25
- Nov 22

========

Upcoming falls ideas:

My idea (please add to:)) has been to get speakers/presenters outside of our
mailing list. We have improved turn outs when we have interesting/new
material for the group & it really gets the table going.

Ideally my aim is to get 2 speakers for the each fall meet up from Sept-Nov.

I have been in touch with a few prospective presenters that I believe would
be of interest to the group.

=====
Prospective for Sept:
I'm currently waiting to hear back from the City of Ottawa's Rob Giggey who
is the Strategic Support Coordinator & opendata lead @ City of Ottawa. Focus
would be on open data initiative.

Confirmed for Sept:
Glen McGregor from the Ottawa Citizen will be presenting about his use of
spatial & open source in journalism.
=====

Other ideas:
1) I would like to start a technical session at each meet up, 10-15 minutes
where the focus is on solving a   problem and/or using a new lib/software
tool etc.

2) I've also thought it would be cool if we brought in a web mapping website
review, ~5 min.

3) Yours here:)

Other thoughts:
1) would you be interested in themed meet ups? i.e web mapping,
openstreetmap, mobile

As always folks, it's our local chapter & we really need your ideas/inputs
etc to continue to keep this monthly event a must go to on the calendars.
Please feel free to add/amend/suggest etc.

I would love to kick start the fall sessions with new speakers, ideas & more
geospatial koolness!!

Cheers,

Richard

@richardburcher