[Ottawa_users] Buidling Plugins in QGIS

Sampson, David David.Sampson at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Fri Jan 27 13:13:04 EST 2012

Warning, brain dump ahead. Perhaps we have a couple of starting points.

1. What do we want to cover in such a tutorial
Some ideas include
* Resources for building plugins
* Choosing a language (Python should be easy, Native plguins are C and
out of scope of my knowledge base)
* Creating the appropriate directory structure
* Creating the GUI
	* Using QT toolkit
	* separating logic from UI
	* building interfaces
	* using QT Builder
* Licensing issues
	* python license
	* QT License
	* Then your own if possible
* Classic "HELLO WORLD" plugin
* Configuration file
* Packaging and distribution of plugin
(http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/wiki/Python_Plugin_Repositorie
s)
* target audience
* related materials, resources and tutorials

2. What type of plugin might we want to create
Some ideas:
* consuming data from a pupolar API like Googel Fusion Tables
* Consuming data from RESTful ATOM based API
* Updating an older plugin VS creating something new
* Some specific use cases or user stories might help (KEEP IT SIMPLE)

3. What if the final output
* a PDF, a web page or maybe a moddle based resource
(http://moodle.org/). It would be great for OSGEO to host a moodle site
and the community collaborates on contributing tutorials
* keeping tutorial up to date is a challenge (ask Scott).

4. I can provide SVN access to the plugin project I set up if I can find
the password. Versioning the code will be benificial to illustrate the
steps.

Thouhgts?