[Ottawa_users] Buidling Plugins in QGIS

richard burcher drownedfrog at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 09:05:18 EST 2012

This is fantastic Dave. Please see my thoughts/ideas below within your
email. I've been looking at QGIS plugin dev for a bit but now with my work
and our discussions here I am very excited to get going on it.

On 27 January 2012 13:13, Sampson, David <David.Sampson at nrcan-rncan.gc.ca>wrote:

> Warning, brain dump ahead. Perhaps we have a couple of starting points.
>
> 1. What do we want to cover in such a tutorial
> Some ideas include
> * Resources for building plugins

i think this is the starting point to consolidate resources in one place.
further to your point below about moodle, it would be great to have an area
to store/organize these resources.

> * Choosing a language (Python should be easy, Native plguins are C and
> out of scope of my knowledge base)

python would be the easiest. i do not know c either. might be a topic for
another time but putting some resources together around spatial
processing/programming with python using foss modules might interest
broader community.

> * Creating the appropriate directory structure
> * Creating the GUI
>        * Using QT toolkit
>        * separating logic from UI
>        * building interfaces
>        * using QT Builder
> * Licensing issues

i would like to see a talk about the various types at some point. i think
this is of critical importance so that users and developers know their
rights. i would certainly be up for putting together a document covering
this.

>        * python license
>        * QT License
>        * Then your own if possible
> * Classic "HELLO WORLD" plugin

perhaps the "hello plugin" could be a two part; load vector (prob
shapefile) & raster (geotiff) that generates some stats/summary output to
text file?

> * Configuration file
> * Packaging and distribution of plugin
> (http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/wiki/Python_Plugin_Repositorie
> s)
> * target audience

mmmm this is a tough one, my initial thoughts (correct me if you think
other wise) is to target those (myself included) that want to understand
the entire process of plugin development to develop a framework for
experimentation and further exploration.

> * related materials, resources and tutorials

it would be great to have a video walk through, perhaps short 5-10min vid?
Andrew R, would this be something that if existed in video that could be
posted on fosslc?

> 2. What type of plugin might we want to create
> Some ideas:
> * consuming data from a pupolar API like Googel Fusion Tables

ive got a december dump of the octranspo gtfs data on fusion tables. this
would be pretty cool to consume.

> * Consuming data from RESTful ATOM based API
> * Updating an older plugin VS creating something new
> * Some specific use cases or user stories might help (KEEP IT SIMPLE)

from my work it would be great to generate some basic raster derivatives
i.e. slope, aspect, twi for a dem & place into a stacked geotiff

> 3. What if the final output
> * a PDF, a web page or maybe a moddle based resource
> (http://moodle.org/). It would be great for OSGEO to host a moodle site
> and the community collaborates on contributing tutorials

agreed. this would really help facilitate community involvement

> * keeping tutorial up to date is a challenge (ask Scott).

certainly not the easiest but always great that people want to pass along
what they know and help others learn:)

> 4. I can provide SVN access to the plugin project I set up if I can find
> the password. Versioning the code will be benificial to illustrate the
> steps.

hopefully you can find the password.