[Ottawa_users] Idea: Putting Local Chapter on Meetup.com

Julien Lamarche julien.lamarche at gmail.com
Tue May 7 16:16:35 PDT 2013

It doesn't hurt, but it is extra work to advertise (filling the
fields, getting the html right), and it may or may not get traction.
It really depends on the topic.

For example, the Cycling Ottawa-Gatineau group I created has 200
members despite having little events.  There's a least a new member a
week.

On the other hand, the Fair Vote Canada NCR chapter meetup group gets
very little new traffic through that group, even with our events
having special guests.

The question is, who is willing to pay the 12$/month :-) ?

I'd check the other tech groups to see if they have lots of members
going to their events.    I'm not too familliar with them, so I can't
speak to that topic.

Again it doesn't hurt to test.  But based on my experience, if you
have a very specialized subject, it won't bring in extra people, just
people who already know you exist.  You might get more traffic if you
broaden the topic, like "Maps of Ottawa".

Its possible too its the "activites" and "socializing" events that
really get a traction.

Julien
--
Flexible & scalable access to open source software research
http://credil.org