[Ottawa_users] Updates on GIS-Day and next meeting

Fabien Ancelin fabien.ancelin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 06:08:36 PST 2013

Hello folks,

First, a great thank you to all of you that showed up at the GIS-Day at
Carleton University. It was good to have OSGeo members there. It was a
great opportunity to show what can be done with Open Source. Thanks to
Scott for the organization : it was really well organized, with what seems
to be a lot of interesting people. I wished I had the time to see many
presentations yesterday.

Secondly, thanks to Richard that came up with the Humanitarian Open Street
Map last Thursday. That was a really good event. We got 8 people showing
up, and some of them were first time OSM Mapper. It was a great feeling to
contribute to helping people and all of that with a bunch of cool people.
People did a really good job at helping each other from a technical
standpoint, which allowed everyone to get up to speed quickly.

Finally, I would like to suggest a change for the next OSGeo meeting. Since
it is hard to do a meeting at the end of December, Javed and I were
thinking about having one meeting in mid-December and skipping the one from
November. The meeting would be on Thursday December 12th. Javed was
thinking about a Christmas dinner, so it is up to us to see if we want to
do something a bit more special. Any ideas?

On the agenda, we could have :

   - A recap on GIS-Day and see have ideas about what is next? I must admit
   I am up to slacking off the next month or two :)
   - Anything else you guys want.

Let me know what you folks think about that.

Regards