[Pacific] [PICISOC] Munich's transition from Microsoft to Open Source

Edwin Liava'a liavaa.edwin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 18:06:01 PST 2013

Hi All,

If China, Asian, African, Latin America and European countries are
turning towards Open Source, even Microsoft is moving some of its
services to Open Source, then why NOT us here in the Pacific.

I can understand someone who can afford a Mac for personal computing
working at a regional organization, freedom of choice since all is
affordable to him/herself.

I would like us to think of smaller Pacific Islands with very limited
financial resources to sustain Proprietary licenses for OS and Office
tools for government offices and schools. Let alone the software
piracy issues, security issues, viruses, malware, etc.

Maybe some of you should visit those Pacific Island states and even
rural communities in bigger Islands like Fiji, Solomon Islands and
PNG.

We should be mindful of these issues.

cheers,

Edwin