[pdal] Scaling of dimensions when writing to las

Chris Foster chris.foster at roames.com.au
Wed Jun 26 21:46:23 PDT 2013

Hi guys,

I've just started looking into pdal for use as part of a lidar
processing and archive pipeline.  It's looking great so far, but will
take some time to digest since the docs are a little patchy ;-)

One thing which isn't clear to me is how quantization works when
output to las is desired.  I'll ultimately be using the C++ API, but
as a test I've connecting drivers.faux.reader up to drivers.las.writer
with the following XML pipeline

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Pipeline version="1.0">
    <Writer type="drivers.las.writer">
        <Option name="filename">
            faux.las
        </Option>
        <Reader type="drivers.faux.reader">
            <Option name="mode">
                random
            </Option>
            <Option name="bounds">
                ([0,10],[0,10],[0,2])
            </Option>
            <Option name="num_points">
                100000
            </Option>
        </Reader>
    </Writer>
</Pipeline>

Unfortunately the output range is odd which leads me to believe that
I've reinterpreted the doubles which are coming out of faux.reader as
integers or something stupid like that.  Some pointers in the
direction of what I'm doing wrong would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
~Chris